Document Insert 7 - Letter From The Margaret Power Archive

Part 2

 November, 1842

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

John 8:32 (King James Version)

From The Margaret Power Archive.

Letter dated 5th November 1842, addressed to Mr Morelle.

Dear Sir

I hope and pray there is a God in heaven to look down upon me and my family at this most difficult hour. I hope and pray that you, Sir, a gentleman of means, and a man of great benevolence, can bestow upon my daughter and my family a rare and most charitable gift.

You knew a little of my missing husband, a man who we fear may be lost to us forever. His name is Paul Eastman, and he is the very same person who performed the task of capturing your likeness in a portrait, which pleased you very much, he once told me.

Unfortunately, he had forgotten that his many talents were loaned him by the Almighty, and thus, latterly, he has squandered them believing they were his alone. If, indeed, he had used his talents well, there would be little need for this letter, as our lives would have commenced in a much more gentle manner. For you rightly know of the gifts he possessed with the brush, and how, if he had possessed a temper to match his talent, there would be no need for this correspondence.

Therefore, look upon this as not merely another begging letter, for it is anything but. No, Sir, this is a letter filled with hope. Hope that you will do a great and lasting service not only to me, but especially to the bearer of this here letter.

I sincerely hope that you can find it in your heart to have pity upon the poor, wretched being standing before you with this letter. She is a good, honest girl, with a willingness to have her good intentions put to the test through hard work.

If, as I believe, you care anything for my husband's memory, and the gifts you undoubtedly believed him to possess, I hope you will give careful consideration to employing my hardworking daughter, Lizzie. For she deserves a new start beyond the poverty and helplessness to be found upon these London streets. There is nothing here for her, and I hope there is something you can offer her, even the lowliest position, within your home.

Out of the misery of one life, I hope my daughter can now know a better one. I pray you find it in your heart to offer her employment, and so give her the opportunity to prove her worth.

Your sincerely

Elizabeth Eastman.

***

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. If you have enjoyed it, please remember to vote. Thanks! :-)