Chapter 22

A few days later, I woke up to the feeling of something cool and soft on my cheek. Eyes still drooping in sleep, I looked up to find a pair of vivid red eyes watching me tenderly in the dark.

"Myrnah!" I exclaimed, sitting up and throwing my arms around her neck. "Oh, you're home! I've missed you so much!"

"Oh, I've missed you too, child." Her cool hand smoothed over my hair. "The last few weeks have been absolutely harrowing for Jannosh and I."

"I never should have left." I told her seriously, pulling back so I could see her face. "You were right, Myrnah. The magical world is so much more dangerous than anything I've ever known before."

Myrnah smiled gently at me. "But if you hadn't gone, that horrible war would still be going on. You're a hero, my dear."

I flushed. "Oh, not really. It was a weird twist of events. When did you and Jannosh get home?"

"About ten minutes ago." Myrnah patted my hand lightly before standing up. "We brought company as well."

"Company? Who?"

"The new solstae king." Myrnah pulled me up with surprising strength and tossed a robe at me so I could cover my bare legs. "He was very keen on seeing you."

I was still, staring blankly at the soft robe in my hands. "Helios?" Myrnah nodded. "I'm not sure if I want to see him."

"Why not?" Myrnah asked me curiously.

"You don't understand, Myrnah." I told her patiently. "I accused him of being the murderer like two seconds before the battle started. I wasn't far off either, since it turned out to be his dad. I feel terrible now."

"Well then this is a perfect opportunity to clear things up with him." Myrnah said lightly, pulling me from the cool darkness of the room into the hall. "You can't just turn him away; he came specifically to see you."

I followed the shifter down the stairs, nervously pulling at the neck of the robe. Why did he want to see me of all people? I'd been absolutely horrible to him. The fact that I was wrong about him meant nothing; it was the accusation that would stick.

Myrnah lead me out onto the lawn, which was filled as usual with sunlight and warm, fragrant air. In the middle of the lawn, three figures lounged casually. The contrast between all of them was startling, although they were all strikingly attractive.

Apollo stood straight and tall, his deep green cloak draping over him like water. His pale face was beautiful and polite in the shadow of his hood, and his green eyes were focussed on the glowing figure opposite him. Beside him, Jannosh was huge and pale haired and relaxed. His violet eyes were striking against his pale skin and ashy hair, and I felt my heart twinge at the sight of him. I really had missed him and Myrnah. Finally, Helios floated like a dream, his champagne clothes glittering and his glowing skin almost transparent in the sunlight. A delicate and simple gold band now sat on his golden locks. The moment I stepped out onto the grass, his dark indigo eyes immediately met mine.

Apollo followed his gaze. "Ah, so the sleeping beauty awakes." He smiled happily at me, and I willed myself not to flush in his adoring gaze. "We'll leave you two to talk."

He and Jannosh left Helios standing there and walked by me back to the house. Jannosh paused to take both of my hands in his huge and rough ones. His violet eyes peered into mine. "Greetings, little one."

"Hello Jannosh." I reached up on my tip-toes to place a kiss on his rough cheek.

Jannosh smiled down at me, squeezing my hands lightly before continuing inside. I knew we'd talk more later; ever polite, he was allowing me more time with the solstae king. I watched the door close behind him before turning around to face Helios.