Chapter 11

The tower of spires was exactly what it sounded like; from the ground, it looked like a flower pot burst with at least a hundred delicate towers bursting from its base. I looked up in awe. The structure looked like it would topple over any second, but from the thick carpet of ivy crawling over almost every surface - like every other building here - it had stood for centuries without ever falling.

"Weird building, isn't it?" Idrissa gazed up nonchalantly at it, one slim hand over her eyes to block out the light.

"I think it's fantastic!" I oggled her. I guess she was used to it, living here and everything.

She laughed. "I guess it is, the first time you see it. I gotta admit the thing's got charm.

Idrissa ushered me to the door. Four elvish guards in silvery armour stood at attention in front of the massive oak doors, and one stepped forward at our approach.

He was blonde haired, and he looked terribly bored. "Password?"

"You saw me leave!"

"Password, madam." His voice was flat.

Idrissa rolled her eyes at me. "Callidora."

I looked at her in surprise at the mention of Apollo's mother, but the guards stepped aside without a word and let us pass. Idrissa took my hand and led me inside, barely glancing at the bored head guard.

Inside, the base of the tower was circular and gigantic. Elves wondered around in pairs, drifting around with their heads close together and what looked like scrolls spilling out of their arms. No one paid us any attention. In the middle of the room was a collection of hundreds of delicate stairways, all leading away up to different spires. I stared in amazement; how did people find their way around this place.

"Stay with me, my dear." Idrissa tugged my hand and began to climb a set of stairs confidently. She obviously knew where she was going.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that the staircases were polished wood, and hundreds of carvings had been meticulously set in them. They looked like stories; as we walked quickly passed, I stared at the carving of an elf deep in a ferocious fight with what looked like a mongool, and  another carving of two young elves getting married. I wanted to ask Idrissa about them, but she looked extremely distracted - I wondered just how urgent my presence was needed wherever all those elves and Apollo were meeting.

Finally, several minutes later, we arrived at another wooden door that was just as heavily engraved as the staircases. She pushed it open without hesitation and pulled me into a room.

I had expected something similar to what I'd seen in Feloix Felaii; hundreds of delicate chairs looking down at a single dais, and maybe instead of a variety of different creatures seated in those chairs, just a multitude of beautiful, pale elves watching everything silently. However, the round room we entered was much smaller than I expected, and giant ceiling high windows spanned the room at small intervals. A spectacular view of the gren could be seen all around, and the light that filtered in was airy and light. In the middle of the room was a single, huge circular table, at which ten people sat. Instead of the silent, respectful spectators I'd expected, each elf was on his or her feet, shouting and brandishing fists at each other. Apollo was the only one seated, but he was also having a heated conversation with a wizened elf across the wide wooden surface. Beside me, Idrissa clucked disapprovingly at the sight.

As I looked, an elf I immediately recognized turned and locked eyes with me.

"Aha!" Ildor called out loudly, pointing at me with a flourish. "The answer to our problems! Quick, you fools, be seated. Lilah, my dear, come closer."