Chapter 32: Unfortunate Mate

It was after school and I was sprawled out on the grass, sitting up against a big oak tree watching Tristan and the boys practice for the upcoming game on Friday. My usual after school ritual, Tristan wanted me to hang out and wait for him to drive me home. The season was transitioning to Fall, causing the leaves to change and the weather to get cooler.

The big game seemed to be all everyone was talking about, the rematch of our school against Troy's. I really don't see what the big deal is, the boys are getting along just fine now. So far, our school is undefeated having won the last three games we played. Yes, I've been a good girlfriend attending all three games to cheer the guys on. Jewel, Lana, and their usual crowd were all perched on the bleachers, hence why I'm sitting here far away from the drama.

I know they're sitting there shooting me dirty looks, but I tried my best to pay them no mind. Her punishment was completed and she's free again, so I've heard. It's been a few weeks since that whole whitewater rafting incident and things have been relatively calm. Let me cross my fingers as that thought crosses my mind.

Can't be too sure that they aren't plotting against me in their evil ploys. It would be nice to know why they really despise me so much, besides the whole Tristan thing, they hated me long before that. Anya's shoulder is completely healed only leaving a slight trace of a scar. Luke didn't want her to drive down so we went up to visit Anya for the past couple weekends, it was a nice change of scenery.

As I leaned over to scribble down the answers to my math homework, a shadow cast down upon my books. Gazing up I was glad to see it was only Axel. Tristan explained to me that Axel being my protector only really applies to when I'm full-fledged Luna, which is why I haven't been around him so much. Of course the pull will always be there and he'll feel the need to protect me regardless, but it won't be at it's full power until after I become Luna, which is still three years away, when Tristan becomes Alpha.

In the past couple weeks I've tried to make an effort in getting to know him better by talking to him whenever we all hang out, but he seems content with being quiet and withdrawn. Can you blame him though? I wouldn't be too trusting of people either if I had to endure the horrifying things his family did.

"Hey, mind if I join you over here?" Axel asked taking a seat next to me without waiting for a response. Any form of him opening up to me was a good sign, wasn't it?

I shrugged my shoulders and continued with my work. One more homework problem and I'm done! "Sure, why not?" I mumbled looking back down at my textbook. "Going to the game on Friday?" I questioned trying to make small talk and not be completely anti-social.
"Yea, Jett's coming too." He responded plucking up a few strands of grass and tearing them to shreds in between his fingers.

"Mm." I nodded, not knowing what else to say to him. "Max is throwing a party at his place afterwards, think you guys will come to that?" I glanced over at him and noticed he was busy looking out to the field.
"Yea, he invited us to the party also." He answered with a look of longing in his eyes, which caused me to wonder. Did Axel play soccer at his old high school?

"Do you play?" I asked shutting my books after finally finishing up and shoving them into my messenger bag. "You should ask if you can try out, it's still not too late."

A small smile crept onto his face as he turned to face me. "Used to." Was all he disclosed before changing the subject. "They're really good I can see why they made it to the championships."

I just nodded my head in agreement. The shrill sound of the whistle being blown, was my cue to stand up and make my way onto the field. Practice is finally over. Axel stood up next to me brushing off the back of his pants before offering his hand to help me up. I smiled up at him in appreciation.