Funerals and Cousinly Fun

Wednesday, November 18

I adjust the gold necklace around my neck and the bangles on my wrists, looking at my reflection in the mirror. My navy dress coat is hanging on the door behind me, and I'm already wearing my black dress. I double check my eyeliner, but I'm positive it'll be halfway down my face in about an hour and a half. With a sigh, I grab my dress coat, pull on some heels, and leave. I pull my arms through the sleeves of my dress coat as I walk, putting my phone and keys in the pockets as I head for my car. I climb in, start my car, and drive over to the church, frowning at the steely sky above me. I park my car and get out at the church before heading inside.

"Hey, Kylie," Mom says, hugging me. "How was the game last night?"

"It was good. We won 3-0, and the worst injury was Marshy hitting himself in the face with his own stick."

"Sounds like a pretty good night," Mom smiles, and I nod. I don't tell her that I called Dougie halfway through the night and made him come over because I was crying so hard about today.

Mom goes off to find Dad, and I'm left alone. It's cold in the church, and I pull my coat tighter around me. My eyes wander around the church until they land on the altar beneath the crucifix. My feet move me up to the front pew, my heels clicking loudly in the empty church, and then I'm kneeling in the first pew. I close my eyes and pray. I've never been a particularly religious person; I go to mass on holidays and weekends when I can, but today is different. I'm going to need all the strength and acceptance I can get if I'm going to make it through today.

I don't know how long I kneel in that first pew, my head bowed in prayer, but when I stand up, my body is stiffer than I expect. People are just beginning to come into the church, and I greet family members as they walk past. I hear a large vehicle pull up outside, and then I hear voices. Bergy, dressed in a nice suit, pokes his head into the church.

"Are we good?" He asks.

"Yes, you're all good," I assure him, and then all the Bruins flood into the church.

My family and our closest friends stop and look at the pro sports players flooding into the church, hugging me and whispering to each other. My younger cousins look just about ready to faint, and so do most of my uncles. Dougie's the last one to come inside.

"Hey," he whispers, hugging me.

"Hey," I whisper back.

Dougie lets me go, but stays near me as I greet people.

"Kylie, there you are," Mom says in relief after bumping into me.

"What's up?" I ask her.

"There's- someone's here- and you need to- oh, hi!" She says, turning to talk to my old neighbors who just came in the door.

"What was that about?" Dougie asks, looking at my mom.

"I don't know, a cousin probably passed out seeing you guys and wants to get introduced," I sigh.

Dougie looks amused, his eyes looking out at the crowd, their color matching the sky outside. He looks down at me, and my breath catches in my throat. In his formal black and white suit, his hair standing out like a flame, his eyes a bright gray, my mind suddenly can't function and all I can process is Dougie. Memories spin through my head and I have to physically shake my head to disperse them.

"Hey, Kylie, I think we should be getting to our spots now," Dougie says, taking me by the elbows and leading me towards my family's pew. He steps into his pew, next to Torey, and I take my place next to Mom. The funeral begins shortly thereafter. The simple black box containing my sister's ashes is brought in, and my eyes well up. We have to say eulogies, and I listen somberly to the others until it's my turn. I walk up to the podium, feeling all eyes on me, and adjust the microphone.