Chapter 4

Father called for the doctor that afternoon to make sure Corrine would be ok to travel back to France. He said she would be fine but to be careful and not do too much for the next couple days, but both her and the baby were fine.

The next morning as I left my bedroom I saw the butler carrying down all Mordecai and Corrine's belongings down to the carriage.

"Good morning," I greeted as I passed him on the stairs.

"Good morning Lady Mary, is there anything I can help you with?"

I looked at the bags in his hand he was struggling with amused, "No I am ok, is breakfast being served yet?"

"Yes, M'lady, everyone is in the dining room."

"Thank you."

When I entered the dining room Mother and Father were chatting amongst themselves, Mordecai and Corrine were just finishing their breakfast.

"So you really are leaving today?" I asked.

"Yes, after breakfast."

The last bit of hope I had that my brother would stay with us longer disappeared, I tried not to show it on my face... my brother had enough to worry about already.

"Oh don't worry grasshopper," My brother said, noticing my disappointment, "I will be back at Christmas."

********

"Lady Mary?"

"Yes?" I turned from watching the rain roll down the library window, our butler stood by the door.

"Dinner is ready; everyone is waiting in the dining room."

"I am not feeling well, I think I will go to bed early tonight."

"Very well M'lady, is there anything thing else I can do for you?"

"Send Ingrid up to my room."

He nodded and left the library, closing the door behind him. I took one last look out the window almost expecting to see my brother's carriage roll up to the front door, instead the rain had just gotten harder. Sighing I got up from the window seat and left the library going down the stairs towards my room.