Chapter 2

Sunday arrived much sooner than I would have liked. I woke up and after wishing me a happy birthday Ingrid picked out one of the fancier day dresses I have. After putting on my corset and hoop skirt I put on a dark purple petticoat and then Ingrid helped me pull the crème coloured dress with imperial purple floral print on it on. We went to my vanity and Ingrid French braided the two sides of my hair and the pulled them to the back creating the look of a complex bun. She placed one of my many inherited hair pieces and fastened it right above the bun.

I finished 'Great Expectations' within three days between the increased etiquette lessons. It was much darker than the other books of his I read. Sadly I did not enjoy the book much, Pip's sister got on my nerves a lot in the beginning when she was obsessed with him finding a girl to marry and she seemed a little to pre occupied with money. Pip I also found extremely selfish, thinking that he was better than everyone else. The only character in the book I found tolerable was Joe who had always been very kinds to Pip even though Pip kept his distance from him, due to his lack of wealth and because he was only a blacksmith.

"Lord Mordecai arrives today, everyone downstairs is very excited for his arrival," Ingrid spoke looking up at me in the mirror.

"As am I," I replied, "It hasn't been since this past Christmas that we have seen them."

"It is so very quiet with him not here racing around," She said which caused me to laugh. Mordecai could never seem to stay still. I remember all the adventures we used have riding around our property. It was a sad day, the day when he left with Corinne.

Ingrid left shortly after that, just making some final adjustments on my appearance. I then went to see Mme. Bouvier in the study where we worked on my grammar which she says is 'absolutely appalling'. I have the most trouble with past tense, especially with all the irregular verbs, it is simply impossible for me to remember them all.

I was almost ready to give up when I saw a carriage roll past the window. Forgetting all my manners I leapt from my seat and ran to the front door, my disturbance shocking most of the staff who were busy getting ready for luncheon. When I got outside Mordecai was helping Corrine out of the carriage.

"Attention ma chère," I heard Mordecai warn her.

"Je vais bien, cessez de vous inquiéter," She grumbled in irritation, seeming to have no trouble getting out the carriage with her quite large stomach.

"Mordecai! How long it has been since we have seen each other last," I called as I ran to give him a hug.

"Indeed it has, little grasshopper," I smiled at my brothers nickname for me. At one point I hated it. It made me feel small when he called me that as a kid, for he was only four years older than me. But with his absence it has seemed to grow on me.

"Il est agréable de vous revoir Mary," Corinne said bringing my attention back to her. Her hair was a light ginger colour that always seemed to look amazing. But it seems the pregnancy has taken a toll on her, even though she would never admit it. She had slight bags under her eyes and looked much older than last I saw her.

"Mother had just recently told me the news of the baby, félicitations Corrine."

They thanked me and we both headed inside. Sometime while we were talking outside my mother and father had been told the news of their arrival and were waiting just inside the door for us. My mother narrowed her eyes when she saw me, silently chastising me for my bad manners. I quickly checked my posture and found that I had also been slouching slightly and quickly corrected myself before my mother scolded me.

"Come now, you must be starving after that long journey," Mother ushered Corrine and Mordecai towards the dining room, questioning them about their life since she saw them last. Mordecai met Corrine when she visited town with her father. They immediately got along and her started courting her, Mother of course was ecstatic when she heard about the fortune that her husband would inherit. At first I wasn't too fond of her; I had thought that she was taking Mordecai away from me. But the more I got to know her the more I grew to care for her. While rich her childhood was no better than mine, surrounded by men who wanted to marry her for her money. I am glad that she found my brother and that they are happy.