Part 15

(A/N: Edited.)

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping. For a second, as I opened my eyes, I thought that everything must have been a dream, but I was faced with the reality that it wasn't. Okay...maybe I should rephrase that, I was faced with a sleeping Wyatt.

We lay facing each other, on the bed. I didn't know where we were or how we got here but I knew that I would be pelting Wyatt with questions once he was awake.

The fact that I lay only a few centimetres away from Wyatt made my cheeks go red. Of course, I had to be serious in this situation, so I turned my back to him and faced the window.

It was dark outside, not night time dark but a storm's darkness. I sighed and closed my eyes again. The peace and quiet didn't last long though, because a phone started buzzing.

I didn't know whether it was mine's or Wyatt's but I was about to find out. Slowly, I got up from the creaky, old bed and inched closer to the night side table.

It was my phone and I had a call from the last person I wanted to hear from. My mother. I groaned and ran a hand over my face, but I still picked up the phone call.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Yah, mom?" In cut to the point.

"Where are you, Gemma?" Her voice sounded weary and tired.

My heart beat picked up and my gentle side came out. "Mom, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Gemma. Just tell me where you are and who you're with."

"Mom I-" I started but was cut off by someone snatching my phone and throwing it against the wall.

"WYATT!" I screeched. "What the hell?"

He looked angry. "Gemma, I thought I made it clear not to speak to anyone about this situation."

"B-but," I stuttered. "Wyatt she sound so desperate. I think they got to her." I know that I didn't always appreciate my mother, but I did care for her and something about her tone just sounded off putting. My first thought was that they got her. If those men could get to my mother, they could get to Brian.

"Listen to me," Wyatt spoke soothingly and I brought my gaze to him. "I'm sure your mom is fine. She doesn't know where we are so they can't do anything to her, in fact they might even need her to bring them to you and then to me. But I won't let that happen, okay?" Things were quiet for a moment as we processed, then Wyatt spoke again. "You and your mom have a very complicated relationship, don't you?"

I sniffed and nodded. "But why did you break my phone?" I asked, still annoyed.

"They can track the calls...which means, we better get out of this motel and onto the road again." Wyatt said, as he stepped away from me and got up off the bed.

My eyes trailed him intently. His hair stuck up messily and his eyes looked tired. I could stare at him all day, he was interesting. But um, that would be weird.

"How's your back?" He asked as he grabbed a towel from the closet.

I shrugged, still in a daze. "Still hurts, but that's expected."

Wyatt nodded and walked into the bathroom, he closed the door later and soon I heard the sound of running water. I sighed as I gently plopped back down on the bed. I didn't know where we were or how far we were from our destination, but I wasn't concerned.

I didn't want to have to go to my home town and face my father. After everything that he put my mother and I through. On top of which, I didn't know what his new family would be like. All I knew was that I had a step mother and two step brothers. I had never met them before, but my dad had reached out to me when I was a teenager, hoping to explain his side of the story. I only wished I could have believed him.