Chapter Eleven | Godric's Hollow, Summer 1978

Chapter Eleven

Godric’s Hollow, Summer 1978

            The graveyard was almost empty, the last of the guests moving on to the party back at the house. The small town Lily and Hazel had grown up in had two churches, right across the street from one another on a long and dusty country road. Grey clouds moved above, making the air muggy-it was going to rain.

At the far end, the Evans sisters stood as far apart as possible, each holding their partners hand. Vernon Dursley looked a little bored, where James seemed almost as upset as Hazel, who had known the Evans’ for years.

“She doesn’t even care,” spat Lily bitterly “Not about them, anyway. Just the house and the money, the stupid napkins and food-what the hell is aspic, anyway?”

“I believe it is a sort of disgusting tomato jelly,” said James quietly “But don’t worry about Petunia, Lily; you can forget all about her now.”

“She’s my sister,” Lily said, face crumbling “I don’t want to forget about her.”

Hazel squeezed her friends hand “You don’t have to forget about her, just let her heal; there’s a lot of tension between you two.”

“I just hope she’ll speak to me.”

It was then that Petunia walked over to them, face sour and lips pursed “Lily.” She didn’t acknowledge Hazel or James, and could barely look her own sister in the eye “There is no need for you to come back to the house-today or ever again, really.” Petunia held herself straight, but her hands trembled “I will send you the cheque through the mail to your new address.”

“Tuney-”

“You may pick up your things when you please, but the house will have a showing in ten days. There is no need for you attend.”

Lily was staring at her sister in shock, and reached blindly for Hazel and James “I don’t understand-Petunia, you’re selling the house?”

“I don’t want to live there,” she said bitterly “Vernon and I will be moving to Little Winging after our honeymoon.” The wedding had been just three days prior to the car crash that taken the lives of Mr and Mrs. Evans, and the newly weds had put off their honeymoon for the funeral.

“I hope you’ll be very happy there.” There was a strain in Lily’s voice, and Hazel knew she was trying very hard not to cry “I suppose I’ll see you…later? Maybe we can arrange lunch?”

“Maybe.” The sisters regarded each other for a few moments, Vernon shifting nervously behind Petunia.

“Erm, Petunia?” he mumbled, thick neck wobbling “The guests-they’ll be wondering where you are.”

“Let’s go, Vernon.” Petunia turned to leave, taking her husbands fleshy hand.