Wattpad Original
Mayroong 3 pang mga libreng parte

Chapter 3

"Most nights I talk to her like I did when I read them their favorite tales. I tell her things I can never say to anyone. I write these entries pretending this book is her very soul, as if telling a tale that she will someday tell her children. But that will never happen, will it? So I just write. I just tell."

- From Corazon's Diary

Erik climbed out and I followed, never expecting him to open the door for me. He took my suitcase from the back of the truck and left it on the ground.

"Unbelievable bastard," I grumbled as I pulled my luggage and fell into steps behind him. A lady appeared at the door as we climbed the five steps of the porch. She was smiling and she was old.

"Hija, welcome to Bacolod. I'm sorry to meet you in this circumstance," she said, holding on to my arm.

"Manang June, meet Stephanie. Stephanie, this is Manang June. She had been your grandmother's lady companion ever since she married Lolo Ramon."

"She's like a big sister to me," Manang June said with tears in her eyes. "Why don't we come inside? I'll show you to your room. It had been your mother's before she left."

"We haven't had dinner yet, Manang," Erik announced as we entered the house.

I was not hearing him. I was too busy looking around the place I should have been at years ago. I should have grown up here during the summers. I should have been familiar with it. I should have ruined those damned lions outside with my childish plays. Heck, I should have been able to swim in that humongous fountain.

It was my mother's home before she married and left for Manila. I should have been here.

"Come, hija, I'll show you to your room." Manang June took my hand. "Leave that suitcase there. I'll take it to your room later. Erik, hijo, there's food in the fridge if you're hungry."

"Now that's what you call dinner," Erik said with a big smile as he found his way to the kitchen at the back of the house.

Manang June led me to the wooden staircase that concaved to the left.

"Thank you for this, Manang," I said as we climbed.

"Don't thank me. It's nothing."

When we reached the top of the stairs, I saw a big portrait of a serious-looking young man hanging on the wall.

"That's your grandfather."

I nodded. This house was where he grew up.

The second floor had a long hallway.

"We have seven rooms here. To the right are the master bedroom and two others that belonged to your mother, Ma'am Othella, and Christina. But those two mostly shared your mother's room. Christina didn't like spending the nights alone."

I frowned. I have not heard that name before. Who is Christina?

Before I could ask the question aloud, Manang June continued. "To the left are four other rooms, one was turned into a library, the other two for guests and the last one is mine. Come this way." She gently led me to the right corridor and stopped at the first door to the right. "This was your mother's. It has never been rearranged since she left. But I prepared it for you. Just don't open the closet. I haven't gotten to cleaning it yet." She opened the door and I was awed at what I saw. It was huge. A big four-poster bed was at the center. Two large windows let in the fresh night air and a wooden sliding door opened to the balcony. A big, mahogany closet stood at one corner and a dressing table was opposite to the bed. Old perfumes and hair brushes laid on it. I walked inside, my heels clicking against the polished wooden floor. The Spanish era at its best, I thought with awe.