7: Through Low Light And Misunderstanding

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Strange Moon Rising" By Smoke Fairies

Chapter Seven: Through Low Light And Misunderstanding

Dinner that night was quiet but there were many things being said. It wasn't easy to see either but I spotted them. It was hidden in Gran's looks and Seth's body movements. It was in the way Seth sat so far away from me he was almost falling off his seat. It was in the way Gran gave me her sickly sweet smiles and the way her eyes would harden whenever they landed on Seth. No, no words were uttered but it was as though they were fighting in front of me all the same.

Clearing my throat I tried to break into the silence, "Is the soup alright? I didn't add to much salt did I?"

I saw Seth shake his head but it was Gran who spoke, "No sweetheart, you did real good."

"That's good," I muttered before glancing at the ridged Seth, "How are you feeling?"

He looked uncomfortable, I noticed. He wore jeans that had apparently appeared out of nowhere but were still stained with the faded marks of blood. It was the only option he probably had. He was just so tall. He had on a red 'Devil Dogs' Marine shirt that Gran had dug out of some box in the attic. It looked tight on him and seemed to show every muscle in his torso as though he wasn't wearing a shirt at all.

Seth's hair looked darker, still damp from his shower and hung limply down to his chin though it was tucked neatly behind his ears. If I wanted to get real detailed though the most intoxicating thing about him sitting only a few feet away was his smell. He smelled like the earth of the woods and with a hint of the rosemary soap we had in out guest bathroom. It was hard not to try to sniff at him just because of how good he did smell.

"Fine."

I frowned a little at the mere effort it seemed to take just for him to answer me. The silence fell over us again but I didn't want to break it this time. The way Seth was acting was bothering me something fierce. He wouldn't even glance in my direction and if he did it was brief enough that I barely noticed it. Now that was a source of irritation that I couldn't begin to understand.

I watched him for a few minutes, just observing of course but as time stretched on he seemed to get tenser. His large hand was practically strangling that poor spoon in his hand and his posture was so ridged he looked ready to crack in two. Finally, he dropped his spoon in the porcelain bowl below and made soup splash on the table. He pushed away from the table and stood up at his full height, his head almost brushing the chandelier hanging above him.

"You got something to say?" Gran asked with barely any interest in her voice.

Seth's eyes narrowed and his lips thinned, "I think I need some air."

"Do you," She asked tightly, "Well, then maybe you wouldn't mind taking care of your friend out there while you're at it."

"Gran!"

She kept her eyes on Seth as she answered me, "If he's going to be sticking around he'll need to earn his keep just like everyone else. Starting with cleaning up the mess he made."

I watched Seth with caution as he stared Gran down before growling under his breath and walking off. His footsteps were heavy and lead all the way to the front door where he slammed the screen door slam shut behind him. I wasn't sure what to do but my first instinct was to chase after him. He wasn't used to Gran's ways and he was sure to be offended by her brash manners. I felt like I should go and apologize for her. It was like second nature to me now.

Putting down my spoon and taking my napkin off my lap, I was ready to follow him, but Gran stopped me by saying, "You let him carry on, Sylvie."

I paused and felt a tug in my heart demanding I follow after him, "But he's upset."