II: And the Hero Will Drown

HARPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. ;3;

Farid is so adowable. ;D; It's okay Farid, you didn't mean to! T.T

HVT - High Value Target, VTOL - Vertical Take-Off and Landing aircraft, MEDEVAC - Medical Evacuation, LZ - Landing Zone, IWMD - Interactive Wrist Mounted Display, OPCON - Operational Control

Swim in the smoke

the hero will drown

intoxicating beauty tears everything down

but still our hands

are bound at the wrist

this romantic tragedy is suffocating from your fist, 

in a sea of fire

You had finally escaped the restraints. Allies had found you. Lieutenant Commander David Mason, or "Section" was the one who cut the ropes out, blood flowing freely to your hands again. It felt relieving to be able to stand and move again, besides the fact that you were limping all thanks to the knife in your thigh. Right. You forgot. You pulled it out of your leg, a very painful experience causing your knees to weaken and you to collapse to the ground. Next time you’d try to be more aware and vigilant. Being captured was not the most recommended situation to be in. Salazar had helped you to your feet, and you nodded gratefully.

The explosion of the VTOL had knocked Farid out cold, and he had collapsed onto the ground. The good thing was that Menendez allowed him to live, and had left with his men. You made certain that there was no one remaining except for Farid and Harper's body before running there yourself, shotgun out and ready to fire. You skidded to the side of Farid and checked his pulse, and sighed in relief when you knew he was alive. You then inched closer to Harper and said goodbyes, refusing real anguish to affect you at this time.

Section rested his hand on your should firmly, which allowed you to gain control of your senses again. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah.. But I'm not so sure about those two.." You mumbled, staring at the blood leaking from Harper's head. 

He looked at you for a few moments with concern and then said, "Don't blame this on yourself. You had nothing to do with this."

You heard groaning and turned to see Farid begin to regain his consciousness, his eyes starting to open. "Farid." Section walked towards Farid with an extended arm, in which he took.

"Section.." No doubt he had guilt in his voice. 

Salazar approached and crouched near Harper, then confirmed, "Harper's dead."

"I..." Farid pointed at Harper's lifeless body.

"You had no choice," Section assured. Farid looked as if he were going to break down, the guilt crushing down on him. 

"Menendez is heading for the Citadel overlooking the town."

"Salazar, arrange for a MEDEVAC extraction back to the Obama." Section ordered.

Salazar had to take Farid away from the scene, attempting to prevent further distress. "Let's go. C'mon, let's go."

Section closed Harper's eyes and stood. "[Codename], our mission it to pursue and capture Menendez. I'll need you to back me."

You nodded and followed him through a series of alleyways as Salazar called for a MEDEVAC. "Salazar on Primary SAT. Multiple EAGLES down.  Request immediate MEDEVAC. LZ SPARROW."

"Kraken, I need to assume OPCON of the drone fleet in support of capture of Menendez." Section said.

"Sending codes to your display, drones re-tasked to your objective."

Section held his arm up to access his IWMD to target enemies with the Dragonfires.

"Split up! Take the high ground!" Section ordered Salazar, running to a building on the opposite of Salazar's direction. At this point, more men started arriving, and so you loaded your S12 and headed in a different path from Salazar and Section to take care of your own targets. You were grateful for the range of the shotgun, as it was helpful in reaching those further than others. "The whole street's a kill zone!"

You ran through a couple buildings, shooting from the hip and slashing throats of those who got too close. After a few minutes, Section had said, "Blocking positions, I need updates on Menendez's location."

"Sir, enemy forces have formed a defensive perimeter around the Citadel." It was just as Farid had said. Menendez was heading towards the Citadel. "The HVI appears to be inside the downed command VTOL. We are receiving heavy fire from its mini-guns!"

"Maintain eyes on, but do not engage. We need him alive."

You took down enemy Quads and regrouped with Section and Salazar.

"Enemy has quad drones inbound. We are re-tasking your quad drones to engage.

"Kraken, without the drones we have no support to cover our advance."

"We are chopping you a containment team to support. They will fast rope insert and link up at the bridge."

"Understood. Section out."

As soon as you jumped from a building to the ground that lead to the bridge, you heard Salazar inform, "Containment team is coming down."

You followed Section across the bridge and up stairs, and shot a few enemies in the distance so they would not be a nuisance when you drew near.

A Navy SEAL spoke. "Sir, five man team to cover your movement to HTV. We'll pick up rear security. Once you locate Menendez we'll make the grab. Surround the VTOL. Wait for the go."

You followed Section all the way to the VTOL, shooting as you moved. The VTOL had opened as you approached. "Menendez!" Section shouted as he ran inside, Menendez sitting with unbound arms.. "Secure him." Salazar jerked his gun up, ordering Menendez to rise, and then took him with his arms behind his back. Menendez did not resist. He did not threaten. He was not afraid, and that disturbed you quite a bit.

"Thank you, David. Help me seek a newer world."