Improving One's Self

Gabel had caught onto my hiding out in my scrying room, and demanded I instead spend my days with him in his office. That was reasonable, of course. He wasn't in his office all the time. He frequently was out with the warriors training, or seeing to various things. I made up excuses to avoid him at those times.

I had never trained much as a warrior, but I decided that it would get me away from Gabel for a few hours and anger him, so I asked Master-of-Arms Flint.

Beta Hix, who was present for the request, said, "It is not appropriate. She is the Alpha's intended. She does not need to protect herself, and common wolves shouldn't have their paws on her."

Hix's expression was a deep scowl. He glared at Flint, and when Flint didn't immediately agree with him, he got even more angry.

Flint, naked except for a kilt swathed around his torso and rubbed his chin. Two of his more senior wolves stood behind him. They looked doubtful too. When Hix glared at them, they shriveled up like dead roses. But Flint didn't care. "If Lady Gianna wants to train, I don't see the problem."

"The problem is she is the Alpha's intended. What does it say about us that she feels the need to defend herself? And the idea of lesser wolves putting their paws on her is offensive."

"I think it says a great deal for a future Queen to want to be a strong match for her King." Flint said.

Hix's nostrils flared. So Gabel did intend to be a King. No surprise. But Flint shouldn't have said that, if Hix's reaction was any indication. I tucked that away and indulged my smugness and scorn. Deluded Alpha Gabel.

He'd feel it. He'd feel it like something uncomfortable and vaguely nauseating in his belly. He'd know I was thinking some rancid thought about him.

If it pissed off Gabel, and Gabel would be humiliated by it, especially if I was lousy and weak (which I was), then good. I especially wanted to do it.

"If it upsets you so much thinking common wolves will be touching her," Flint told Hix, "Then you can be her training partner."

Hix jerked like someone had yanked his collar.

"The Lady Gianna wants to improve herself." Flint informed Hix, "I will never stand in the way of a wolf who wants to improve themself!"

Hix snarled and paced, but Flint was Master of Arms, and he was the final authority on it outside of Gabel. Gabel wouldn't stop him. Gabel also wouldn't approve. But when they saw how bad I was, Gabel couldn't pull me because that would make it seem like he was ashamed.

My first session was that morning, not in the main grass ring, but with an audience nonetheless. Flint came over to supervise, Hix was angry, and a crowd of about twenty or so wolves had gathered. Including my two goons (they looked uncomfortable) and Platinum, who was already laughing at me.

I looked to the house and saw the windows to Gabel's office. I wondered if he was standing and watching. I couldn't see through the glass.

Hix paced around me. He had on just a kilt, having already been training before I showed up, and there were half-healed red scratches raked into his dusky skin. He had several much older scars on his torso, one that looked like it had been caused by a silver-acid burn. "I will be gentle with you."

"If you think Alpha Gabel is gentle with me, you insult me." I flung back at him.

This made Hix scowl something fierce, and the wolves shifted.

Gabel had never laid a hand on me to hurt me, but he had been cruel in ways that hurt much worse.

If Hix hurt my flesh, would Gabel feel it?