One Day. One Person. One Act.

I ducked my head down low while I picked up my now scattered books all over the floor. I tried not to listen to all of the snickering and laughter going on around me. You would think after three years of high school I would be used to the bullying and hate by now. But no, it's still as hurtful as it was on the very first day when Christopher shoved me into the locker, calling me a faggot in front of a hall full of other students.  

I don't know what it was that day that made me stand out to him and his friends. Was it the way I walked down the hall? The way I dressed in my black skinny jeans and dark blue hoodie? Did he not like the way I styled my hair, my black bangs longer in the front to cover my eyes?

I remember the night before that one simple act happened. I was so excited while I got ready for bed thinking of all of the new friends I would make, the new classes, having people to hang out with. I had already went out and bought brand new clothes for my first day of high school. I wanted to look good, impress people. I went to sleep with a smile on my face oblivious of how fast your life can change.

One day. Thats all it took for me to become the outcast. The loner. The one that nobody had the guts to befriend because they were afraid of what others would think. The one that noone knew a thing about but spread enough rumors around as if they knew everything.

What was so wrong with me that noone wanted to sit with me at lunch? Why didn't anyone care that I would limp down the hallway, just barely surviving the abuse when I would get cornered in the locker room.  Just simply, What is wrong with me?

They call me a mute but I'm not. I just have no one to talk to. Or more importantly no one wanted to talk to me.  I've long stopped wishing that just one person would whisper one simple word  to me. One word that could have the potential to change my life drastically. A two letter word that could have the impact of saving my life.

Hi.