Chapter 11:DOCTOR

It was one midsummer night, almost a decade ago when I first realized that my parents were seldom home. It was a kind of night when it rained for hours with loud thunder and lightening. The clock struck midnight and I was still awake. I sneaked out of my bed, but Aaron held my arm.
"Don't leave me here,I'm scared."
I shook his hand back,"Grow up Aaron,
We are 10 years old now. There's no need to be afraid of anything.
"Where are you going?"
"Isn't it strange that our parents are never home?"
"They are just busy. What's so strange about it?"
I frowned at his reply, and went downstairs. I thought, he would follow me but he didn't. It was dark downstairs, only the bluish flashes of lightening brightened the hall momentarily.
Unlike I though, they were home. I heard voices from their room. I turned around to return back, but something made me sneak to the door of my parent's room. Pressing my ear against the door, I heard them arguing about something. It was hard to understand first, but then, I heard for long enough to know what was going on.
"I'm taking the children."
"Please Alice, just listen to me. It was nothing."
"I had seen you with her with my own eyes. I can't live here, not being able to trust my husband and doubting everything he does"
"Then trust me,please. If not for me, then for the children?"
"I can't."
"I love you, Alice."
I heard footsteps approaching the door. Crawling behind the table, I saw my father dragging her by her arm to the library.
"I wasn't flirting with her. I found out about something that you shouldn't see. But now, I think, it's better for you to know about it then leave me."
I crawled closer to listen further, but Something fell off the table. They looked back, and mother saw me hiding under the table. I was so scared, that I could hardly think of any excuse.
"What are you doing here, Marcus?"
He rushed towards me, but mom stopped him and asked me to come out.
"Are you alright, honey?"
She brushed back my hair and kissed my head.
"I..I was hungry. I thought, you were not home. I heard voices, and got scared."
That was the best lie, I could think of.
She sat on her knees and spoke softly.
"Don't be scared ever,Marcus. You know, you're the strong one. You have to take care of Aaron after we are gone."
"Don't say that to the kid." Dad frowned but mom kept looking me in the eyes.
That was the last words of my mom. Next morning, when we woke up, there was a change of scene. Uncle Ethan came to take us back to his house as my parents had left for a week to an unknown place. They never returned back and I learnt to live with this fact.
Suddenly, after so many years, somebody told me that they aren't dead. Hearing this, made me angry.
Somewhere, inside my heart, 10 years old Marcus blamed them for all the hardships he had to go through. He wasn't forgiving them for the times, they left him alone at home.
When Mrs.Renard told me that she had found them, I had ambiguous feelings.
I was happy that I could see them again and blame them for all those things.But I was scared too. I had no idea what they went through at this unknown place, in the time of great distress.
I looked at Mrs.Renard and spoke.
"Are they okay?"
She smiled,"They are more than okay. They are one of the richest people around here."
"What?" I asked again.
"Alice and Alexander Breton are the doctors, appointed by the King for the nobility of Paris. They are the best."
"Doctors? You mean, the ones who give medicine and stuff."
Pauline frowned,"Obviously."
I wasn't sure about  their profession, but they worked at a lab, wore a white labcoat but they weren't doctors.
I managed to smile.
"Where can I find them?"
Mrs.Renard sighed,"That's the problem. People like us don't go storming into places like that."
The irony of that sentence made my heart somersault. She had no idea that people like her would go storming into Bastille on 14th of this July.

"They are my parents. I have to see them at any cost."
"You have to wait a little,till I gather more news about their where-abouts."
"For How long?"
"I have no idea. It could be days or weeks. But I promise, I'll find a way."
It was funny but I was already thinking about leaving a large amout of money for both of them. I knew, Pauline was thinking the same. There was a smile on her face that uttered everything.
Pauline spoke,"I have to go home now. I'll come back soon."
Mrs.Renard stretched her fragile hands, and Pauline hugged her. I don't know whether I imagined it, or I heard a faint "I'm sorry for everything."
Pauline nodded,"Let me take care of you,Mom. I don't need anything else."

I kept sitting on the table for so long, recalling the old memories of my parents. I thought about Aaron, and it made me realize that my parents were unaware about his death. How would they react knowing about it?
Aaron was always their favorite. He always listened to them. I was the  rebellious one. What if they feel disappointed that it was Aaron who died not me?
I shook my head to disappear the storm of thoughts building inside my head.
Soon, it was dinner time. I ate a little and went upstairs to sleep. I had nothing else to do, except lying down on the thin mattress and thinking about all kinds of scenarios. I had spent almost a day without getting into any trouble in the Past. Maybe, it wasn't a big deal afterall.I just had to meet my parents, and take them back with me. Half of the mission was almost complete, and the second half was meeting Juliet. I thought about working on the later one till Mrs.Renard find a way for me to meet my parents.
I was pulled into the darkness of sleep soon, thinking about Juliet.