Chapter Ten

Fall. Brush. Fall. Brush.

This had become a normal routine for me as my hair kept falling over my face. Yes, it was doing pretty much what I'd wanted it to do – hiding what I didn't want to be seen – but I very much liked seeing generally. I huffed agitatedly, trying to brush the strands out my face. How annoying. I probably looked like a mop or some creepy troll, maybe even the girl from the Ring.

Leaving my hair out as its curly mess wasn't the smartest of ideas, but it was the best I had for the time being. The best I could do to cover up.

In the morning I had contemplated straightening it, just to get it out of the way a little easier, but I knew that wasn't anything like me, and I really didn't enjoy being picked out of the crowd. As usual, Violet had made some comment about it, like how I looked 'sexier than normal', or 'gorgeous', and as usual, I'd rolled my eyes and denied it.

Today had gone smoothly thus far, and it was back to being ignored as the quiet background girl. The rumour had mostly died out, and all I was getting now were curious glances that'd easily sweep away when they didn't find something they'd been looking for. And maybe the hair was actually helping with that too,

I smiled to myself at the thought. It was like I was being hidden behind all the curls – and it felt awesome. I readjusted my glasses and happily made my way down to my last lesson of the day. Doing great so far.

When I reached the door to my science class, I was dazed, deep in thought and mind all over the place. It had been like everything was back to normal – back to being the girl no one noticed, back to People-Watching as I made my way across the school building. Everything about it was great.

Till I slammed into someone at the classroom door.

I held my nose, groaning, and stumbled back, clutching my folders in hope they wouldn't slip out my hands and fall.

My eyes wandered up the figure I'd bumped into and I was about to mutter an apologetic sorry when I found Ethan staring down at me with an unreadable expression. My eyes widened and I remembered something important.

Oh yeah, he's in my Chemistry class. Sugar cookies.

We stood there staring at one another for a while, not saying a word. I watched his eyes wonder over my hair then back at me. I couldn't decipher exactly he was thinking because his expression wasn't giving anything away, but if I was even slightly correct there seemed to be a hint of amusement in his eyes.

Before I could painfully contemplate something to say, or wriggle my way out of the awkward situation, Ethan spun and headed into class without a word. I stood there blinking for a while till I gathered myself.

Right – no being seen with the matchmaker.

My shoulders relaxed and I headed in a while after him and to my seat that was across the class from him. Maybe two weeks ago or so I would've been slightly more offended, but it felt a little different now. It didn't bother me as much, and I felt pretty appreciative that he was following my rules now.

It was . . . Ok.

We didn't need any more unnecessary rumours starting up again anyway.

I got out my work books and listened half-heartedly to our teacher explaining something about bodies or anatomy. It seemed to be difficult to focus.

My eyes wondered over to him.

He looked so concentrated and calm, it was like I was looking at a completely different person. In class, I never had really noticed how he'd paid so much attention. And it finally took me a while to realize he was in my class for science – the higher class. Obviously he was living up well to his smartass status.