Chapter Thirty-One

LOGAN

LOGAN

It's not long before her breathing gets heavier and her body relaxes against mine. She's fallen asleep and we somehow managed to avoid talking. Maisy had always been an expert at that, and it appeared she'd gotten even better with time. I spread my hand open across her back and hold onto her a little tighter in fear that she'll slip away when I eventually fall asleep. I wouldn't put it past her.

She scrunches her nose up and burrows closer to me, unconsciously pressing her naked body into mine and filling me with all sorts of perverse thoughts. I can't help myself. I already want more of her. I shake my head and smile, not believing what just happened. Despite whatever tomorrow brings, I'm falling asleep tonight with Maisy in my arms, and that's good enough for me.

As the years went by after she left I started to think of her less and less. I'd be lying if I said I was able to ever permanently erase Maisy from my mind, but for the most part I had recovered. It took one full year slaving away at my dad's garage before I saved enough money to afford my first semester at school. I was so happy to get out of town and away from the ghost of her, that I threw myself into college, taking as many classes as I could afford all while holding down two jobs. I didn't mind the work or lack of sleep; it kept me from focusing on anything else.

By senior year I finally started dating again and had two semi-serious relationships. Things weren't necessarily bad in either of them; I just wasn't ever really invested. I had only ever told one girl that I'd loved her, and at the time I thought I did. But now with Maisy sleeping against me, I realize I was wrong.

I've never gotten over this girl and now it's quite possible I never will.

She adjusts her body and I immediately respond to her rubbing against me, but know I should let her sleep. Something is going on with her. I mean, who randomly gets four of their tires slashed in the middle of the day? And she's acting shadier than usual. Maisy was always guarded, but now it's difficult to get her to even answer the most basic of questions.

I hate having to do it, but I slide my arm out from underneath her and slowly pull myself up from bed, careful not to wake her. I stare down at her perfect body wrapped up in my sheets and am gripped by the gnawing knowledge that this is all just fleeting. Once the sun comes up Maisy will leave my bed and this will all end.

My phone buzzes with a text and I slide my underwear on and pick my jeans up off the floor, fishing it out of the pocket. It's Will saying he's coming over. I quickly text him back and tell him not to. I don't want to hear the grief I know he's going to give me about Maisy.

When he texts me back and asks why, I tell him that I'm beat, and not two seconds later my phone begins to ring. I step into the bathroom and shut the door behind me so I don't wake Maisy. I don't have to look at the screen to know its Will, and I know he won't stop calling until I pick up.

"What?" I answer with an exasperated whisper, feeling like a high school girl hiding in the bathroom talking on the phone to her best friend.

"Maisy Jacobs? You gotta be fucking kidding me man!" Will hoots into the phone and my intolerance only grows. The clattering and voices behind him tell me he's at his restaurant and I immediately suspect Dawn is with him, so I ask.

"Is Dawn there?"

"You told her Maisy was 'just a classmate' of yours? Dude, she isn't stupid." He continues to laugh at me and I'm on the verge of hanging up when he suddenly stops. "Seriously though, tell me she's not with you right now." I don't answer him because I can't, and it's none of his fucking business anyway.

"Logan, this chick fucked with your head eight years ago. You can't let her do it again."

"Leave it alone Will." He may have been my best friend, but he was stepping way out of line here.

"Fuck that!" he fumed. "I was the one who had to watch you fall apart back then. I was the one who had to convince you to get out of bed, and not take that fat chick from Raleigh home with you!"

I smirked into the phone, not remembering anything about that night except what Will had told me and the detail he went into when describing the red head I almost ended up going home with. "It's not going to be like that again," I promise. "I know she's leaving. I know it's a one-time thing."

"You're gonna try to sleep with her?"

"I'm not talking about this with you." He's pushing it now. I know he's concerned. I know he doesn't want me to go back to how I was right after Maisy left the first time, but I can't give him any guarantees. Because the truth is she's going to leave again. And the more fucked up part is that I don't want her to.

"Oh shit! You already slept with her?"

I don't give him the time to ask again. I hang up the phone and switch it to silent. It immediately lights up but I ignore it and put it downing the sink. I turn on the faucet, splash some water on my face, and run my hands back through my hair. Will's intentions may be good, but I don't want to hear it right now. I don't have much time with Maisy, and I plan on making the most of it.

I walk back out into the bedroom and look down at her curled up on my bed. She looks so content, so unlike how she looks when she's awake. I step over to her and pull back the covers, staring down at the beautiful body below me and taking in Maisy's curves.

She could at least tell me what's going on. The back of my knuckle outlines the slope of her round hip and I feel myself reacting like I'm seventeen again. I want to help her, and the worst thing is I already know she won't let me.

Her body uncurls and she stretches out on the bed, lost in that hazy world between being semi-conscious and still being asleep. A smile rolls over her lips and I instantly find myself returning it, completely aware of the power she has over me. Her lashes bat open and her brown eyes find mine. She stares dreamily up at me and it's a sight to behold. I want to wrap my arms around her and protect her from whatever it is that's hurting her, because I know Maisy's life has been hard.

Handling her father's case gave me a slight impression into the man he was. Your wife doesn't commit suicide and your daughter doesn't take off like that if you're dad of the year. And the fact that Maisy changed her name to her mother's spoke volumes. I bring my hand up to her cheek and caress her face. I can only imagine what she's been through since. She tilts her head into my hand and I hold it there, allowing a connection to pass between us without any words.

Maisy reaches out and pulls me down towards the bed, and I lay behind her, spooning her body, and holding onto her hand. She pulls them up together towards her breast and lays a sweet kiss on my knuckles and I inhale her floral scent in, committing this moment to memory like the so few others we've shared.

We lay like that for a while, my front pressed against her back, and my arm casually slung over her body. At some point I cup her full breast in my hand and she cradles her hand over mine. We're cocooned here together and I never want to be anywhere else.

I'm starting to understand why Maisy ran away all those years ago.

But what I can't understand is why hasn't she stopped?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

My heart broke a little bit in this chapter; I don't know about yours. I'd love to hear your reactions, snag your votes, and feel a little love for Maisy and Logan, because I think they both need it right about now.