Chapter One••

"Your strongest weapon is your voice, it can tear you down in seconds but it can also build you up. Don't you thing your voice is a wonderful thing? It can bring out the best in people and the worst. It's silly really." Matt stared up at his Nana in awe. Her words were always wise but of course, that comes with age. "But Nana, why did you let those stinky men talk to you like that? Didn't you say your voice is strong? Why didn't you stop them?" His Grandma smacked he lips and smiled her best smile. "Now, now Matt. I wouldn't expect you to understand, you are only five. But this time I will explain. You see Matt, we have the choice of what comes out of our mouths. Those men chose to speak ill of me but that does not mean I choose to speak ill back. Someday you will fight your own battles. When that day comes, I want you to know that you have the choice to stand up but Matt, you must also know when to stand down. Some people aren't worth fighting. You shouldn't waste time on people who don't believe in you. Just know that as long as you believe in yourself, you will be okay." Her smile wrapped around her old wrinkled face. "Nana, I love you!" Matt giggled out through a wide grin. "I love you too sweetheart, I love you too."

"Matt. Matt! Matthias!" Matt's eyes shot open. In his face was a man shaking his old, boney finger at him. "I swear Matt, next time I see you sleeping in this class you will never be in another P.A.P class in your life!" Mr. Browns eyes and face were red with anger. For the past month, he has had to wake Matt up. Matt, being as clever as he was, replied with is oh so smart words of, " you know, I'm really trying this time to find somewhere in my brain that says I care. But sadly, it's not there." The smirk creeped across his face, let's see what old Mr. Brown bag will say about this. Silent giggles filled the classroom as one steaming red man made his way to the phone. "One more word out of you Faye and I will phone the front office!" Matt's smirk got stronger. His eyes twinkled with dare. "Do it. I. Dare. You. " Matt's smirk faded into a grin as he watched his Calculus teacher pick up his faded black office phone. "Deal," Mr. Brown smiled as he typed in the nine digit office number.