Chapter 2

Ben

‘Dear Diary,

Last night I came out to my best friend, Bena.  After she got over the shock and had confessed her true feelings for me, we were able to move on.  During dinner she poured herself more and more wine, leading up to the first kiss we’d planned for her.

Before driving her home, I took her to Peter Lilly’s house.  I’ll never forget the look on his face when Bena ambushed him.  Sure, Pete was crazy for Bena, I could only hope the feeling was mutual for my friend.  May be if she spent more time with him, now that she could get over me, they could be a real item.  At least Pete would treat her well.  I only wish I could find someone for me to.

But I have a plan up my sleeve.’

“I’m sorry, Mr Novak.  I don’t understand.” Said the Principal.  “Exactly what kind of club is this?”

“Well, it’s for kids like me.  Gay kids.  Westland doesn’t have any sort of support group for those with different sexualities and I think it would be good for the school to have an LGBT group.  So kids like me have others to turn to when they’re going through these changes.  When they feel all alone.  Westland can be a rough place if you think you’re the only gay boy or lesbian.  It would also look really good for my college application, sir.” I explained.

“Tell you what.  I don’t know how many kids in this school are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, so we’ll have a trial run.  Put your notice up on the board for a session tonight at four o’clock in the Geography classroom.  If you get any takers we’ll find a more permanent date and spot for you.”

“Thank you, Mr Palmer.  I really appreciate it.” I said, shaking his hand as I stood.

“Good luck, Mr Novak.  Please, don’t get your hopes up.  I wouldn’t want you to be disappointed if nobody shows.”

“I’ll try.  Thank you again.”

“My pleasure.”

Tait

‘Dear Diary,

I have a violent urge to bust down Mr Garland’s door and kick his ass.  He badgered Piper at work again last night.  She’s playing it cool but I can see he’s getting to her.  I think she might succumb again soon unless she moves on with her life and starts seeing someone else.

Kate Helms is in his classroom a lot these first couple of days.  More often than necessary.  I was passing his office the other day when I heard the two of them talking.  Flirting.  It makes my skin crawl.  I have to warn her to keep her distance.  I don’t know what she sees in that guy.  He’s such a creep.’

During my afternoon classes I decided to talk to her.  When the bell rang at four I was the first one out the door, sprinting down hallways and leaping down the stairs until I landed on the ground floor.  Kate was just leaving when I entered the main hall.

“Kate!” I called.

She turned and smiled as I bounded up to her, “What’s up, Ritter?  Too much caffeine?”

“What?  No.  Listen, I need to talk to you in private.”

“Oh, will it take long?  I sort of have plans.”

“Do those plans involve Mr Garland?”

“What?” she seemed shocked.  “How do you know?”

“Stay away from him, Kate.  That guy is bad news.”

“It’s really none of your business, though, is it?”

“Look, you’re not the first girl he’s made a move on, okay?  He hurt someone really close to me.”