Chapter 1

Twelve hours. That's not a lot. Just twelve hours to live? Why?

I walk along the shore of the river and hear a sudden beep. The same old beep when an hour is up. I raise my arm to see a faint green writing,"Crap two hours left." I never heard what ever happens to a person when all their time is up. Maybe they live forever. Maybe they die. I can't run or my time will decrease. Ughh, main kya karoon? My best friend, Chase (and what can I say, the cutest guy in town), startles me,"Come on! That's not fair," my two hours go down to one hour. I narrow my eyebrows and he grabs my hand,"There you go twelve hours again." He also gained back his twelve hours. He puts his arm around me shoulder and we walk together through the 'famous' field of grass. I look up at the sun as I lay down. Mom used to tell me that people that can look at the sun for a very long period of time get blinded. Then she would pull me into a hug and run her hand through my hair and she would say,"Only the special ones don't get pulled into the darkness." She never told me what they were called. Once mom and dad got into a fight an they mentioned something about um.... what was it called.... Oh right star children.

"Chase do you think they're real?" I ask turning to him. "About what?" He turns to face me. "The star children. The everyone alway says they live long. They live without time. The ones that never get blinded by the sun." "Eeeeehhh, possibly," he stresses. "No you don't," I frown. Chase likes to joke about these things and let him. But this day, he went to far,"Hey Mel, you wanna race?" Before I could say no he's already down the street. I turn to leave but something told me not to leave. I look back and see him on the floor, not moving. I scream and uncontrollable tears flow out my eyes. When I look at his arm, I see the faint green writing which marks six hours. I punch him,"Damn you!" He laughs. "That wasn't funny," and I walk away with angry tears. "Oh come on, I was just joking." I mutter,"Ass!" I abruptly stop in my tracks and hug Chase,"You are my best friend. If your dying, I'm dying with you." We are triple beeping and look down at our arms. 24 hours? That's impossible! An entire days worth of time?