::Chapter Eighteen::

The change in Colette was obvious the second Hunter stepped into the gym. Waves of what could only be describe as change rose off her. Sweat dampened the back of her shirt, and she was crouched, tense, facing off someone on the opposite team.

Hunter walked around the edges of the court to get a better look.

Her face was determined and hard, but her image wavered in front of him like distorted air rising off hot asphalt. As he watched, black spread outward downwards from her scalp, like black ink was dripping down. Yes, it was obvious the change was escalating.

Before his eyes, Cole darted forward faster than a snake and snatched the basketball out of the other girl's hands. She flew across the court, her movements quick and precise. The ball was an orange blur, and it was hard to see the ball dribbling. It was almost impossible to believe that this was the same girl who froze out on court the other day.

Mixed emotions, hot and cold, fire and ice, collided in him like two armies colliding in a fight. This was what he wanted-- for her to change. But a piece of him, a bigger piece than he wanted to admit, twisted itself into hideous guilt.

The game ended and Colette blinked out of her trance. Confusion muddled her features, but she grinned through it. She turned towards the girl's locker room, but the door swung shut behind her. He knew he shouldn't, but...

He closed his eyes and willed himself not to be seen and pushed open the locker room door.

The girl's locker room smelled like fruit and flowers, a startling contrast from the guy's locker room.

"Colette?" He edged around duffle bags and scattered clothes. "Cole?"

Up ahead there was a soft sniffle, and the running of water. An island of wall separated the main changing area from Cole. Hunter knew if he stepped around the wall there was no turning back.

He steeled himself and stepped around the corner.

Water splattered against the walls of the sink in an unceremonious manner. Hands clutched the edges of the sink with a white-knuckle grip, like any minute someone would try to pluck her off the earth. Her head was bowed, her hair hanging around her face in a curtain. Black hair covered most of her head; only the barest traces of blonde were left.

"Cole?"

She didn't respond. Maybe she couldn't hear him over the sink.

He stepped closer until he could shut the water off.

"Look at me," he said.

She took a step back, face still averted. "What did you do to me?" she whispered.

"I didn't do anything. I told you, you're changing."

"No! Don't you see? None of this happened until you came into my life." A ragged breath. "What. Did. You. Do?"

"Nothing. I swear."

A breathless chuckle. "I don't believe you." She ripped out her ponytail, and locks of black and blonde settled right above her breasts. That's when he noticed her shirt discarded on the floor a couple feet away.

Heat coursed to his cheeks, and he a averted his eyes. Of course she would be changing. It was a locker room for God's sake.

"If you put your shirt on, we can talk about it."

"Just like how you told me everything the other night?"

The guilt in him twisted even more until it grew inside him. Yes, he didn't make her change per se, just... jump-started it.

"I swear this time I will tell you all I can."

"That's what you said last time."

Tears dropped off her chin, and he wanted nothing more than to wipe them away. He suppressed the urge to reach out to her and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"If you want to know... I'll be around." He stalked out of the locker room. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," he muttered to himself.

:||:

Colette trembled as she wiped away her tears. She had no idea what was happening to her. All she knew was that she wanted it all to stop.

Should she talk to Hunter? Her heart raced at the thought and she shook her head. No. That wasn't going to happen. But she couldn't go and face school, either.

She walked out the emergency exit door of the locker room, avoiding looking at her reflection.

Because what she saw was not her.

A/N: If you want a hint about what is going to happen next, look at the GIF I have attached to this chapter! ;)

Also, apparently voting for the Wattys is happening! So please make a tweet (or however that works) with #wattys2015 #mywattyschoice and the link to my book and my username.

IF YOU DO VOTE FOR ME, I WILL ADD A CHARACTER YOU CREATE OR WILL TAKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR THE STORY VERY SERIOUSLY.

-Sophia