::Chapter Two::

Blue and red lights flashed, bouncing off the rain. Two girls, one blonde and petite, the other tan and curvy, lay in the street. Blood gushed out of them, the rain washing it away in red rivulets. Currents of bloody water swirled down the street.

A dark haired boy watched from the shadows. His face was impassive, not a single emotion to be seen.

An ambulance squealed to a stop beside the two girls, and medics jumped out in a flurry.

"We need a compression on this girls stab wound stat!"

"Get some bandages!"

They loaded up the girls into the back of the van, various bandages and tubes wrapped around them. The boy watched on, unseen.

:||:

Red and black swirled and coiled in Colette's head. Blood dripped from the corners of her mind, flooding her in the thick, salty liquid. All around her, she was surrounded by clear glass.

She reached a tentative hand out, the palms of her hands resting against the cool surface.

"Where am I?" Her voice bounced back at her.

Crimson rolled into her vision, trailing down the inside of her glass confine. Her brow furrowed and she leaned closer. Blood. Colette blenched and pulled away from the side. Rivers of blood trickled down the smooth sides, pooling at her feet.

Horror rose in her. What was happening? "Let me out!"

Tears spilled out of her eyes. Suddenly, skeletal hands reached out of the dark. They were huge, the size of her body, and they were reaching to her.

She stumbled backwards to the other side of her prison, her back hitting against glass. She cowered in on herself. Something warm dripped onto her head.

She reached a tentative hand up and pulled it away. Blood. It poured down on her, covering her naked body. It turned to silk, forming a dress around her. The hem of the dress trailed in the blood rising beneath her, soaking the material.

The blood rose higher and higher, fastly approaching her head. Her blonde hair became stained, a startling shade of red. It floated around her head as the thick blood rose higher.

Blood touched her chin and she raised her head. She took a deep breath as it covered her face. Colette choked on the thick, hot blood. It filled her mouth, pushed her way into her nose and ears. She screamed, blood pouring into her lungs.

The familiar tug at her stomach pulled on her, pulling her through a glass chute beneath her feet. The world spun around her, faster and faster, images of skeleton hands flashing behind her eyes. Black, familiar and safe, creeped on the edge of her conscious. She gave into the void.

:||:

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The world came to exist in pieces. The gentle humming of machinery. Warmth grasping her hand. The sensation of floating and numbness before descending onto a crackling surface.

Colette stirred, fingers twitching by her sides. Her tongue was sandpaper, her body stiff and aching. Her eyes fluttered open, eyelashes brushing her skin like feathers. Light, harsh and bright, glared. She shut her eyes with a wince.

"Harold, turn off the lights. It's bothering her," a familiar voice whispered.

"Mom?" Colette croaked.

"Yes, honey. It's me." Soft hands brushed her forehead and cheeks. "How you feeling?"

"I-" Colette's eyes opened and she frowned. "What happened? Where am I?" She tried to push herself up and gasped.

Pain shot through her, radiating from her hip and leg.

Colette's mom placed a hand on her shoulder. "Shh... you're going to be alright."

Cole tried to put a hand on her forehead, but something tugged at her arm. "What?" An I.V. stuck out of her arm.

"I'm in a hospital. Why?"

"We don't know, honey," her dad spoke up from the doorway. "You and Brooke were found in the street after you dialed 911."

Images of Brooke, collapsed on the floor and bleeding out, flashed in her mind.

"Brooke!" Panic shot through Cole, and she grabbed onto her mom's arm. "Please tell me she's okay."

"She'll be fine. She went under surgery and is sleeping the medicine off. Luckily, no major organs were stabbed. Just her gallbladder."

What happened? Stabbed... Cole's eyes widened. The woman! The woman from the shop. She... she wasn't normal. Cole shuddered at the memory of pitch black eyes like a deep abyss; the way her tongue darted out to catch a drop of blood.

"There was a woman! A woman with pure black eyes and a dagger..." she trailed off, seeing the expressions on her parents' faces.

"Oh, my poor baby. The pain medicine must be messing with your head." Her mom leaned over and kissed her forehead, strands of honey blonde tickling her cheeks.

Her father, tall and stocky, lumbered to her bedside. "The police are going to come soon and ask some questions." He saw the look of alarm on her face. "I'll convince them to give you another day. Tell them to give you another day. I'll tell them how bad the medicine is messing you up."

Colette smiled. "Thanks, Dad." Then she frowned. "Wait, shouldn't you guys be at work?"

"Honey, I think you're more important."

"How long have you guys been here?"

Her mom flushed. "Two days. Give or take."

They looked like it, too. Her dad's button down and slacks were rumpled, and her mother's hair looked like it could use a washing.

Colette groaned. "You guys need to get back to work!" She scrunched her nose. "And take a shower while you're at it."

"We can't just leave you. I think that the bank can handle without the financial manager there."

"Mom. Go to work. I'm going to be asleep, anyway. And besides, I'm in good hands."

She pursed her lips and exchanged a look with her dad. "Fine but we'll be back after work tomorrow. Bye, sweetie."

"We'll send a nurse in."

They left with sad smiles. Colette sunk into her pillows, closing her eyes. Her head spun and her thoughts churned. What was she going to tell the police? What would happen when Colette and Brooke's story didn't match?

She opened her eyes and stared at the textured ceiling. A nurse walked in, with a mop of curly dark hair and warm cocoa skin.

"How ya doing?"

Colette shrugged. "Could be worse. How's my friend? Her name is Brooklyn Patterson."

The nurse winked. "I knew you'd ask that. So I took the liberty of checking. She's fine."

"Can I visit her?"

"Sorry. No visitors. Doctor's orders."

We'll see about that, Colette thought.

A/N: alright guys! Honest opinions are highly appreciated and welcomed! This is a brand new story, so I need honesty.

Vote/comment/follow! And check out my other story, Beyond Her Final Breath if you want a longer piece of work.

-Sophia ^_^