Those Cold Brown Eyes

“Where were you?” my mom Teresa “Reese” asked before I had a chance to fully step inside the house.

“Out,” I replied, refusing to look at her. I walked past her, making my way to the wooden, spiral staircase.  

“Where ?” she demanded. As I heard her Alexander McQueen high heel boots walk across the marbled floor of the foyer, I stopped and turned around.

“I’m 19. I don’t have to tell you everything,” I snapped, glancing at my mom. People thought I was a spitting image of my mother. We shared the same dark features: dark brunette hair along with dark brown eyes. However, I was slightly taller and a shade lighter than her.

“Yes you do. You’re living underneath my roof.”

“Not by choice!” I began, making my way down the stairs. “I wanted to go to college at NYU and rough it out in the dorms, but instead, I’m stuck in this house-”

“How tragic. After all it’s not like you have your own room, a walk in closet, and practically everything you ask for-”

“I’d give it all up if I could just be free,” I mumbled. My mom just didn’t get it. Some people would kill for this lifestyle. Of being able to buy anything, no matter the cost. Like my long nose. If I wanted a slightly shorter one, I could use my credit card and get one tomorrow, no problem. All I needed was my black card.

That’s how it was. I would buy whatever and at the end of the month, my parents would use their money to pay off the card’s bill. Why did I have a problem with this? It’s blood money.

“Free from the family?” she asked, sounding hurt.

“Mom, you know that’s not what I meant. I meant free from the family. I’m never gonna live a normal life,” I added, sighing.

“I know, and I’m sorry,” Reese replied, taking my arm, leading me to sit down on one of the steps beside her.

“I never wanted this life for you or your brother. The two of you growing up, seeing things you shouldn’t see. People getting murdered…That’s not the kind of life the two of you deserve…”

I nodded as I flashed back to the first time I witnessed mob activity. It was when I was 10. I decided to follow my parents one day out after I overheard them in a mysterious conversation. I got a taxi to follow them to a warehouse. Once I walked inside, I saw a made man from the Di Caroni family on his knees, begging for mercy. As I got closer, I noticed that it was my mom holding him at gun point with her gloved hand, leather jacket, jeans and killer designer boots.

Yup that’s right. My mom’s the boss of the Di Caroni family. Kind of messes up the whole tradition of the men running the mob. But her gender has never stopped her from being the ruthless person she was. Anyone who questioned that found out the hard way, 6 feet under that she was no one to mess with. In a sick twisted way, I actually admired her for holding her own in an all men’s world.

“…I want to know where you are because you are my daughter. I want to make sure you’re safe.”

“I am safe. I thought you said things are quiet now.”

“They are. So far all of the families are at peace, but you that can change at any time.”

“I know.”

“Well, if you came earlier, you would’ve been able to join us for a surprise family dinner for your birthday. But instead, you were elsewhere,” Reese accused.

“Sorry, Mom. We can do dinner tomorrow, or something,” I responded. It was already 11 at night. Had I known they were planning to surprise me, I still would have hung out with Azarias. I barely got to see him compared to my family.

As I was about to leave, Reese gripped both her hands on the back of my head. “Who’s this boy that’s got you acting up?” she questioned, bringing my face closer to hers’.

“There’s no boy.” I gulped, recognizing that look in my mother’s eyes. Those cold brown eyes that could kill someone if her pupils were able to hold AK 47’s.

“Don’t lie to me,” Reese responded, her deadly pupils still focused into mines.

“I’m not,” I lied.

“Then where were you?”

“At the library. Studying.”

“Where are your books?” I gulped yet again as I looked to the left.

“Online. Books are available online now. Um…I’m tired. I’m gonna go to bed,” I added, trying to get out of this confrontation. She grabbed my head a little tighter before letting me go. My heart raced as I stood up, fearing for Azarias.

“There’s gonna be a problem if this boy keeps making you late. Understood?” I paused before taking another step. She didn’t have to raise her voice for me to realize the threat. I kept my mouth shut. I was not going to let my mom know the truth. I reached into my pocket and felt the Tiffany box. Moving in with Azarias seemed even further away than ever with her threat.