He Hates the Way I Lie

“Bianca, are you sure you don't want anything for your birthday?” Azarias, my Greek boyfriend asked in his deep voice. 

      “Yes, I'm sure,” I responded, as I squeezed his hand, that fit perfectly into mine. “Az, you're seriously all I need,” I add, glancing into my handsome beau's beautiful green eyes. He grinned back at me as he used his free hand to push his wavy dark brown hair away from his face. He wore a plain beige t-shirt along with off white skinny jeans and auburn combat boots. He had the silver necklace I gave him for our six month anniversary around his neck. Little did he know that I had diamonds encrusted throughout the necklace.

      Knowing that he was wearing something so plain as usual, I didn't have to worry too much about coordinating my outfit with his wardrobe. And yes, I'm the type of girlfriend who takes the time to make sure our outfits go together. With Azarias's simplistic style, I had a variety of clothes that easily went with his. I didn't coordinate our clothes all of the time. Only on special occasions. Such as today, my 19th birthday. 

      To match his clothes, I had on a dark beige BCBG silhouette jumpsuit that reached the length of my fingertips with a nude colored leather ballet Jimmy Choo flats.

      Before I took another step from the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, he pulled my slim body over to his fit frame. He wrapped my face with his hands and indulged me in a kiss. As I kissed him back, my heart beat a little faster. It was amazing how though we've been dating for a little over a year, I still got butterflies when I was with him. After the kiss, he softly pushed my brunette hair that was gently blowing in the wind away from my face. After he intensely gazed into my dark brown eyes, I goofily smiled at him before looking away and blushing.

      “Get out of the way, kids!” an angry guy told us as he pushed us.

      “Hey, we're not kids! Especially not her. She's nineteen today!” Azarias called out to the guy jokingly. Rather than blow up, we laughed and continued to walk. Since I didn't have any classes at Rutgers for the day and against my wishes, he skipped all of his classes today at NYU for my birthday, we decided to spend some time in the boardwalk. Thankfully for us, the weather was warm enough for us to enjoy the beach. “Race you to that booth over there!” he said, letting go of my hand as he sped over to one of the many stands on the boardwalk.

      “Not fair! You started before me!” I yelled, racing over to him. My competiveness side came out as I picked up the pace to catch up to him.

      “You're not upset I got here before you?” he asked, with a smirk once I reached the booth. He knew how competitive I could get at times.

      “Of course not. But we both know I'd win in a race against you,” I told him. I tried not to get mad that he got there before me. Besides, any other day, I'd smoke him in a race.

      “I know. And I wouldn't have it any other way,” he replied, giving me another kiss. I smiled as I hugged him. “Here you go, sir,” Azarias said to the man who worked at the booth as he handed him five dollar bill. “I'm gonna win you that huge bear over there,” he said, pointing to the biggest stuffed animal hanging from the wall.

      My heart skipped a beat once I saw the man hand him a bb shotgun. Though I knew the gun was fake, I still cringed. Seeing it in Azarias's hand made me cringe even more. If only he knew how much I hated it when guys used guns for power or to prove how macho they were.

      As Azarias' began to shoot at the empty soda cans to win the prize, I folded my arms and tapped my fingers against my arm impatiently. “Crap! I can't even hit one,” he complained, at his failed attempt at trying to knock at least one of the cans. To win, he had to knock down the three sets of three cans, each can set in a pyramid formation on top of a barrel. He shoved another five dollar bill over to the man before trying miserably to win the bear. He cheered after he hit one set of the three cans.

      “Does the lady wanna give it a go?” the man asked as Azarias set the gun down.

      “No,” I quickly responded. The last thing I wanted to do on my birthday, was play with guns.

      “Oh come on, Babe. It'll be fun-” Azarias began.

      “There's nothing fun about guns,” I snapped, giving him a stern glance.

      “Lighten up, Bianca,” he replied.

      “Don't tell me to lighten up, Azarias! Guns kill people! Do you get that?” I sarcastically said. I breathed in heavily, trying to keep my cool. If only he knew what I knew, he wouldn't be so quick to pick up a gun and shoot it around like it was a video game.

      “You're just mad that you can't beat me,” he mumbled.

      “This has nothing to do with me not being able to beat you,” I snapped, getting even more frustrated.

      “Yeah right. Do you notice almost every time you get mad at me it's when I'm better at you in something,” he replied.

      “That's not true,” I replied. “I just don't like guns!” I practically yelled at him.

      “Fine, let's leave. Let's go do what Bianca wants to do, as usual 'cause it's Bianca's world, and everyone's just living in it-”

      “Alright, Azarias!” I started. I hated arguing with him. Every time we did, we would always bring up our problems we had. He would bring up how I was bossy, a know it all, and oh so competitive. Then I would complain how he was a slacker, and how he didn't take anything seriously. I marched back to the booth and yanked out a five dollar bill from my pocket before grabbing the gun.

      Without thinking, I held the shotgun with one hand on the forearm and one on the grip behind the trigger. I immediately put my left foot in front of my right. I automatically spread my feet less than shoulder-width apart, before placing it against my cheek. I quickly brought my shoulder up to meet the gun. Not hesitating, I slapped the trigger down three times, each time, aiming and successfully knocking down the different sets of cans. I calmly placed the bb gun down, as I stepped back from the booth.

      Azarias and the worker looked at me in bewilderment. I couldn't blame them. Hell, if my boyfriend knew the secret about my family being the head of the family, he wouldn't be too surprised. “You were saying,” I said, smirking as the worker handed me the biggest bear.

      “Wow. How'd you learn how to shoot like that?” Azarias asked, walking besides me.

      “Grand Theft Auto,” I replied in a snicker as I hugged my bear. Yeah I hated guns, but I loved winning and it was worth my boyfriend knowing I knew how to handle a gun just to prove that I was better at shooting a gun then him.