Just awkward (Chapter 3)

Alfie

I finally finished packing my things, off to a little trip for a few days. I'm going to hang out with Tanya, Jim... and Zoe. Though its kind of hard to imagine. Zoe and I haven't been actually talking to each other for the past days. Things are getting pretty awkward. Just awkward. And I have no idea why she's not even replying to my texts. I kind of got the message that she wasn't planning to talk to me at all. I don't know. After our small house party at their place, she was a bit distant to me already.

Today, we were actually planning to go together and meet up with Jim and Tanya. But that WAS the plan, way before the party. Now, I kind of got the idea that she doesn't want to travel with me too. I didn't really want to push her. So instead, I just sent her a text. "Uhm... I think I'll just take the train. I'm leaving in a bit. See you there"

It was long and boring trip. I didn't have anybody to talk to, so I basically faced my laptop for the entire time. When I got off, I decided to stroll to the mall for a bit. I didn't plan to buy some clothes, maybe just food. A little snack for my hungry stomach. I went for a nearby Nandos, easy pick. There was this really familiar face, just across my table. She was alone, and I hope I didn't creep her out because I studied her, I had this strong feeling we knew each other.

She looked up after browsing the menu, and she caught me looking at her.

"Alfie?"

I didn't know what to respond. She knew me. And I knew her! But I can't figure out who she was. 

She went to my table and smiled. "Alfie! Its me Isabelle!"

Ohhhhh. ISABELLE. Now I get it. She used to have hazelnut colored hair, and now its kind of blonde. But she looked good.

"I was still trying to figure out who this familiar face was before I could even respond to you. Isabelle! Long time no see!" I hugged her.

"How are you, Alfie? Are you with someone right now? Do you mind if I sit here with you? It's a bit weird eating alone at that table."

"Yes, of course. Let's eat, and chat. No one's with me right now, so yes, please."

Isabelle was a childhood friend of mine. When we moved to Brighton, she was one of my first friends there. After grade school, her family moved to Ireland. But even though we weren't able to see each other for a really long time, she still looked the same. Only that she had different hair, but here really big green eyes gave me the clue that she was indeed Isabelle.

"So how have you been, Alfie? Its been so long! And you're really tall now. I used to be taller than you when we were in grade school."

"I'm doing great! I've been travelling a lot and I make loads of videos. How about you, Isabelle?"

"Well... I'm engaged."

We talked for hours! We've needed a lot of catching up to do. And I was so curious about her engagement. She was going to marry this guy she met in Greece, and he's an artist. I can see it her face that she's really happy and that makes me happy too.

I didn't keep track of the time, and it was already a bit late, I was supposed to meet up with Tanya, Jim and Zoe around lunch time. So I hurriedly texted Jim and asked where they were.

"I'm really sorry, Isabelle. I have to go. I have to meet up with my friends now. It was nice seeing you today!"

When I told her where I was headed, though I didn't have any idea where that restaurant was, she offered to take me there. Good thing she was familiar with the place, 'cause obviously, I wasn't.