Chapter One: New Beginnings

Taking a deep breath, I straightened my shoulders and looked ahead of me at the enormous building that was before me. Surrounding it were a string of other buildings that continued into the distance. All around were the sounds of other people laughing and chatting. I couldn't believe that I was actually going forward with this. I was going to college and in that moment, it was the last place in the world that I wanted to be. I hadn't been to a school in at least two years. I'd graduated from high school and that was it. This nervousness wasn't supposed to have me shivering, but it did.

Take a step forward, I looked at the two people nearest me. They were both tall and buff with tanned skin that enhanced their eyes. Their cuteness didn't surprise me considering that I noticed they wore matching black and purple shirts with some Greek symbol on the front. The symbols were foreign to me. I couldn't tell the difference between a theta, delta or any of the other signs. They definitely looked like frat boys. Not too far away, stood two females dressed in similar shirts. As I walked past, one of the men handed me a flyer.

"Party at the Phi Kappa Delta house, tonight," they greeted in unison.

I looked down at the flyer and noted the main purpose was to recruit "babes" and "bros". I couldn't even began to react that. Veronica, my grandmother, wanted me to join as many social factors as I could. She was a former Alpha Beta of the university and it took her many places, including where she was today. It was one thing to join a college, quite another to become an active sorority girl. I felt out of place. Like I had left the ghettos and been thrust directly into the suburbs.

Entering the structure of the building, it was quite loud as people shouted to one another excitedly. A group of guys wearing those purple and black shirts, stood off to the side joking around one another. A diversity of ethnicities stood before me. Some were cute, others passably attractive. As I passed, they whistled.

"Hey, sweetheart," one of them said smoothly stepping in front of me. "Welcome to campus. Why don't you do us all the favor of bringing your sexy ass to our party tonight?"

He ran one hand through blonde hair, his tanned skin show casing emerald green eyes that moved over my figure with appreciation. I arched one eyebrow and gave him the same attention he was giving me, noting that he had to bench press to have those kind of muscles. He stood at least seven inches taller than me and in a fair fight, I wouldn't have a chance. He was cocky as fuck. Normally, I'd have found him impressive, but I couldn't get the events of the past two months out of my head, nor Angel. The man was a shadow in my mind.

A party was the last thing on my mind.

I bit my bottom lip, knowing that Veronica would want me to go. She demanded that anything Angel-like be removed from my mind. I was young and available. No man should tie me down so young, especially not one who was up to his ears in illegal activity. I had to be the better family member and make something of the Moss's. I wasn't sure about that. You could remove the girl from the hood, but it didn't remove the hood from her. It was the same concept with Angel. You could remove me away from him and out of my life, but it didn't remove him from my thoughts or my subconscious.

"Maybe, I will," I told him.

He smiled widely, exposing dimples. "Don't think. Just do it, sweetheart. You won't regret it. I'm LJ. We're part of Phi Kappa Delta. Our sister sorority would no doubt love to have you as a Sigma Omega Delta."

I shrugged, before giving him a small smile. "We'll see," I responded, before moving around.

"Your name, sweetheart?" he asked.

Looking back at him, I noted that his frat buddies were watching the two of us. I shrugged. You're living a normal life, now, was the mantra I repeated in my head. That meant that this clean cut men were going to a part of my life. Thugs were ruled out, along with everything that I'd ever grown up to. Being around them endangered my life, being around these men didn't. So, it'd be best for me.