Chapter 19

Sora found herself between Mo and Katie on the big comfy couch.

The inside of the Harrisons' house appeared to be warm and cozy with its polished wood floors, bookcases brimming with books, and soft, plush brown sofas and armchairs that you sank into. The tension filling the room removed any sense of comfort from it. Everyone was on edge feeling extremely uncomfortable and awkward.

Mrs. Harrison, or Patricia as she insisted on being addressed once they entered the house, was sitting in a huge armchair across the coffee table studying them intently. Sora sneaked a quick glance at the others sitting on the couch with her.

Katie was frantically biting her nails, while staring at the cup of tea their hostess had offered her. Sora expected her to start rocking back and forth at any moment. Ben was sitting next to her, still looking exhausted, but there wasn't a trace of fear in his eyes, instead he seemed to be irritated and even a little angry. Leave it to him to get mad at the worst possible time ever, thought Sora as she let out a strained sigh.

She braved a glance at the other side of the room. Standing with his back on the wall, Drake wouldn't even acknowledge her. His posture indicated worry, and when he looked at Ben she saw guilt flash in his eyes.

Sora didn't need to see Mo, who was sitting on her left, to know that he was in an excited frenzy. This was his one big chance to find out what he could about dragons. She could feel the fascination purring out of him with every short breath he took. She knew she would probably get irritated just by looking at his face but she couldn't resist.

Sure enough, he was sitting there smiling like a ten year old girl who'd just got a pony for her birthday. She shot him an exasperated glare which he was completely oblivious to, so she decided to take more desperate measures by elbowing him.

He didn't scream or jump like she expected, he just turned to her with a serious yet ridiculous smile plastered across his face. "What?" he mouthed, but before she could roll her eyes at him, Drake's father stalked into the room and Patricia actually jumped out of her seat. Sora hoped she wasn't expecting them to do the same.

"I just called them. Everything will be ready in a couple of days. We can leave then," he announced to everyone in the room while his eyes were fixed on Ben. Sora wondered for a moment if he meant all of them, but his lack of interest for anyone aside Ben was her answer. They only wanted him, the dragon. Naturally.

"You can leave. I'm not going anywhere with you lunatics," Ben said, crossing his arms over his chest which made his thick muscles stand out even more.

He needs to put on a shirt, this is distracting, thought Sora briefly before turning her attention back to the problem in hand.

When they arrived home, the Harrisons had explained to Ben that he was a dragon, and they had been searching for him ever since the fire at the school. Now that they had found him, he was to go with them and join their pack. Sora's heart pounded at the mention of the school fire, but Ben didn't seem fazed by the details. He called them lunatics and some more elaborate things, told them he was not going anywhere with them and tried to leave, but when he reached the front door, Mr. Harrison blocked him. Ben didn't put up a fight when Mr. Harrison walked him calmly back to his seat.

Sora knew Ben hadn't fought because he was completely exhausted. She had never seen him look so tired, even after a big game. Despite the fact that he was spent, Ben still looked good. Even though Sora didn't like Ben, she had to admit that he always managed to turn heads, even running up and down the football field drenched in sweat, he was still a hot mess. No wonder Katie had a huge crush on him for so long. Now, though, his good looks were overshadowed by the look of defeat on his face. He appeared broken and scared. That frightened Sora almost as much as the look on Drake's face.