Chapter 7

Running usually helped Sora clear her head, but running after Katie in the streets of Darkwood made her head pound until it felt like it was on the verge of exploding.

Sora was surprised at how fast Katie could run, especially for someone who had never run a day in her whole life. As she ran, Sora desperately tried to figure out what she would say to Katie if she did catch up to her. Admittedly, she wasn't trying exceptionally hard to catch Katie because she wasn't ready to relinquish the truth to her friend. Sora was even unsure herself as to what the truth really was. She stopped when she reached the spot where they usually met each day to go to school to catch her breath. She had two choices: go to Katie's house and face her or go to her house and let her friend calm down a little bit.

I've had enough confrontations today, she thought as she decided to go home. Katie needs to calm down, and I know I definitely need time to decide what I am going to tell her.

Sora leisurely walked the rest of the way home, relieved that she had a reprieve from a painful conversation with her best friend. When she arrived home, she was ready to unwind. She tossed her bag on the floor next to her bed, spilling out half its contents across the room. She uttered a loud curse as she bent to retrieve her stuff.

She paused when her hand brushed over a small white piece of paper amongst her scattered things. That's not mine, she thought and quickly flipped over the scrap of paper. On the other side there was a note. The words were small and written in haste.

"I know what you are. Meet me at the burned part of the forest near the school at midnight. I can help you. I have all the answers you need." She read the letter over and over again, desperately hoping to glean more information as to who the author was and what they knew. The repeated readings revealed nothing further, and Sora was as confused as ever.

She sat down and began trying to determine who left the note. Drake was the first person who came to mind. He said that he needed to talk to me, she thought but then another name entered her head. What if it was Mo? What if he found out what happened at the fire and wants to tell me?

The more she thought about it, the longer her list of suspects grew. What if it's a prank from Mia or even worse Ben? I really pissed them off today. What if it's someone else completely?

And then there were the cryptic words of the note. "I know what you are," she repeated. "What is that supposed to mean?" She considered it might be the mysterious person who saved her from the fire. Was the stranger now accusing her of arson?

She stared at the note one last time. "I have all the answers you need." She crumpled the paper and tossed it aside. "I had no questions that needed answers before you showed up," she screamed at the note.

After a few hours of considering every possibility, Sora knew the only way to find out the truth was to go to the meeting.

***

The air was brisk and cold and it nipped at her skin. The naked forest was no longer able to provide protection against the icy wind. Sora checked her phone for the hundredth time. One minute after midnight. She hated waiting, especially alone in the dark of night away from any civilization in the remnants of the charred forest, that she may or may not have accidentally burnt down.

I am out of here, she thought and turned around to leave.

"You're early," she heard his voice before her eyes were able to discern who was speaking. After a few seconds and a few lost heartbeats, Sora saw a tall, dark figure leaning languidly against a lone standing tree.

Drake.

"You're late," she said. She had no idea how her tangled tongue was able to create any coherent words. Her knees were trembling and weak, and she feared they would give out at any moment. Her mind was in overdrive as a hundred thoughts flashed through her head. What does he want?