The Channeler

I crept down the dark alley, my mind dead set on finding the right sewage hole before my brothers got there. And I wanted to prove them once and for all that I had what it took to be with them on these kind of things.

I repeated the route in my brain over and over again as I tracked where I started and where I was. I took two right, one long straight, and now all I had to do was take a left.

I spied on the alley's slick wall and found my final left turn. The corners of my lips rose as I almost laughed with joy, but I was able to keep my composure as I was stalking up to the corner.

I heard a cars engine pull up from behind me as headlights made a silhouette of myself in front of me. I turned my head back quickly as I saw my brothers distinctive headlights at a far distance, so they wouldn't be able to make my figure, or clothes out at the time.

Not risking anything else, I turned the corner quickly and jogged over to the sewage hole. My arms flexed with all it had and lifted the heavy round chunk of metal up as I heard my brothers near closer.

I made myself enough room to squeeze in, and dropped down with a small splash. I felt the sewage rushing past my feet, the stench rushing up my nose as I closed the top of the thick metal above me.

I knew with my brothers unknowingly on my case I would have to hurry and get to their hideout. I pulled out my phone and opened up the underground map I downloaded earlier and looked at my next route, darkly gazing ahead of me at the leaky, stenchy hole I was in, and started navigating forwards to my destination.

As soon as I came near to the hideout, I heard the echo of the metal being lifted. My heart started sprinting miles in front of me as my brain contemplating on what to do first.

I knew I would get busted, but if I already did their job they would be all like, "Oh, Carmindy, I never knew you could do that!" and I'd be with them in a blink of an eye.

So I raced all the way the corner of the sewage hole, and peered around the corner surreptitiously, glowering upon a man with glowing red eyes.

I reminded myself over and over again that I had the right bullet, the right gun, and almost the perfect timing, only, my brothers were on their way.

I put my hand on the gun, waiting for the ideal moment when he turns around and BAM! Mission accomplished.

I scrutinized the man's face, waiting to see when he would turn around. But, he didn't turn around. He started turning towards my direction!

I thought up different scenarios in my head and decided either him seeing me and probably get killed, or shoot him now and my brothers be so proud of me... Well its obvious what that answer was!

I snatched the gun out of the holster and turned the corner, pointing the gun quickly at the demon, cocked the gun, and pulled the trigger.

The shot echoed loudly through the sewage hole, and I saw I had hit the demon, right in the stomach!

He held the wounded spot and eyed up at me, and I saw the pain glisten in his eyes. Soon, he dropped into the wet sewage and was passed out cold.

I heard two pairs of footsteps jogging forwards towards me and the hideout. I could just see the upcoming scenario, my brothers gazing at me like they don't believe their eyes and see all the perfect work I'd done and practically beg me to be with them.

My brothers soon stormed from behind the corner, and my smirk was just widening at the second, and when they slinked towards me with bewilderment stickling in their faces. And just when I thought my idea of honor would come into play, they yelled at me. But one thing was right, there was disbelief in their eyes at first.

"Carmindy, this isn't the kind of thing at your age! and going behind our backs just shows how immature you are in this whole situation!" Mitch exclaimed, his eyes burning with anguish. "I just shot a guy though." I moaned, slugging along with the two most annoying un-accepting brothers the world could fathom, Mitch and Sam.

"Yeah, and that was our  job."

"I just wanted to show you I was capable of doing your job too. And guess what? I did." I replied, irritated by how the never were proud by the fact I could do their job as easily as they could.

"You are unbelieveable, Carmindy! This kind of thing can get you killed!"

My brain played through another scenario in my head, and I had to share it with them. "Yeah, and if you both get killed I will be so depressed that I'll die myself. So if we die together it won't be as bad." I stated, the picture in my mind so clear to me, and probably not them.

Sam, the one that had been silent the whole time, spoke up. "Mitch, I think we should give her a chance just this once. If she messes up, then lets just wave her off."

"Sam, do you not see how young and imma-", "Yeah, but I also see how advanced she is at her age. She could be very valuable now, and in the future."

"Stop talking about me in third person.." I mumbled, crossing my arms indifferently, pouting my lips.

"Just give her one chance." Sam repeated, glancing between me and Mitch. "Fine. But if she messes up, she is out." Mitch stated, his lips in a tight line.

We finally reached the metal top and Mitch opened it up, boosting me through first as I lifted myself out, and took a good whiff of the fresh night air. Like heaven in a bottle!

Mitch and Sam hiked themselves out and covered the foul smelling brig which I was glad to be out of, and started treading towards the car ahead conveniently located at the end of the alley.

Sam unlocked the car doors and I got in the back, buckling my seat belt and stared back at the sewage hole.

I'd never really been down in a sewage hole before, and now being down there, and having an experience like that, I'm not really sure I'd want to be happy, or disgusted.

I guess the feelings mutual.

"Carmindy." Sam spoke in a more father-like voice, breaking me out of my thoughts, I focused my gaze on Sam, "Yeah?" And I knew this voice, breaking out the old father on me, he was going to ask a fatherly question.

"You know the consequences to the job, right?" Sam questioned, staring at me with a pair of serious pairs of blue eyes, and for once, I felt that surge through me.

"Yeah, Sam, I do." I whispered, adverting my gaze to the floor of the car, my head rushing through all the possibilities, responsibilities! I thought I'd burst with excitement if I wasn't so tired.

I tugged out the heavy gun from under me and poked it in Mitch and Sam field of vision, "Here." My lips pursing together as I saw Sam wave it off, saying, "Its yours."

I blinked at them for a second, my eyes widened as Mitch glanced back, laughing at my expression.

I pulled my arm back and put the gun in the holster I brought with me earlier and sat back in my seat, reality suddenly sinking in like a slap in the face, different mixtures of feeling surging through me all at once.

I knew I'd finally be in the agency of demons and dark angels with my brothers now.

And it felt good.