Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Joshua had kept silent while they spoke. In truth, he didn’t have that much to ask, and his own worries would do nothing to help. He listened to Garnet’s voice, but along with it, he tried to listen for the things Garnet didn’t say. Why had the place been shadowed by magic in the first place? What lied within that lost city that would attract a Black Hole?

“What I still don’t get is how Errai would be able to pose as an Elder,” Vega mumbled. Joshua rolled his eyes. This had been discussed so often and still now, it would seem inconceivable for anyone to penetrate the security of the Elders. It would have taken vast amounts of patience along with skill - two things that he didn’t doubt Errai possessed.

“How could a Black Hole pose as Dr. Steven Johansson?” Garnet asked Vega. Joshua looked her over. Whenever they talked about the life of Miriam and Annabel, which was stuffed together inside her, she would become introverted. With a sigh, she nodded and looked away.

Joshua fiddled with the hem of his clothes as uncomfortable silence fell. The past was a sensitive subject for Vega. Mostly because she didn’t remember everything and the two personalities was torn inside her.

It pained Joshua to see, and he tried to prevent her from seeing the effect it had on him, but not everything could be concealed from a star. Granted, he didn’t know with one hundred percentage certainty that she was a star, or if it was merely a manner of speaking.

Looking up he saw the constellation of Lyra. It was fall here, and the constellation wasn’t that visible. During August, it had been most visible at nine pm.

“We will have to find this place,” he finally spoke up, breaking the silence. They both looked at him, and he thought he saw a moment of relief flood over Vega’s eyes.

“Indeed, and we will. However I’m afraid that will not be as easy as it sounds,” Garnet said.

“Of course not,” Joshua muttered under his breath.

“Don’t get sassy with me, boy,” Garnet replied in an offensive tone of voice that made Vega laugh lowly. Joshua’s eyes shot to her as laughter over took her body. It reminded him of Annabell. They’re alike in many aspects yet so different from her.

A strand of fire red hair had fallen from behind her ear, and he wanted to brush it away. He struggled to contain the urge and instead concentrated on the Elder who was still looking at him.

“Sorry,” he muttered and waved his hand for the Elder to process.

“There is only a limited knowledge of where this hidden city was placed before it was concealed with magic. Not to mention the problems that will occur when you will have to penetrate the protective shield that surrounds it,” he said.

“But wouldn’t the concealment have been breached with Errai being there?” Joshua asked.

“It is possible, but we do not know of the kind of magic that the Black Holes possess. Therefore, we cannot be sure.”

Joshua nodded at this. He could see the point.

“What’s the next step then?” he asked with a frown.

Garnet looked at his folded hands.

“I will have to show the two of you something,” he said in a grave tone of voice, looking between the two of them, “But first, I must warn you. The journey you are about to embark on, will be filled with dangers and there are no means for you to get in touch with me, once you’ve started.”

 Joshua had figured this already, but he looked over at Vega who was watching him with cautious eyes. Nodding once to her, she nodded back, and they both turned to Garnet.