Chapter Four: That's Love

OMG! I love you guys! Over 1500 reads and I only have 3 Parts! You people are amazing! Please follow me! I'd love to read YOUR stories!

                                                                     ~*~

"Alfie, I lo-'

-----------------------

I woke up in a place unfamiliar. Yet, I felt as if I knew it well. I was in a hospital, that was obvious from the tubes and beds and all of the medical stuff around me. My legs felt weak and my head ached, when I tried to sit up. My arm was wrapped in plaster. It was broken. Obviously.

'No Alfie, you have to rest.' It was then I realised, that my mother sat in the chair in the corner, a book in her lap. I laid back on the pillow, trying to think.

'Mum? What happened?' I asked softly, my voice low and fading. Mum sighed and closed her book, afer marking her page with her bookmark. 

"You and Zoe were in a car accident. But, the person who hit you didn't stick around. He took off, before any witnesses got his number plate. Zoe took most of the impact. She's pretty bunged up Alf. She's in a coma and has been for three days. All you got honey, was an arm broken in 2 places. Zoe's whole right side is practically broken. Including, the right side of her brain. When she wakes, if she wakes up, there is no telling of the damage that is done to it."

I let that sink in. Zoe was in a coma. We'd been in a car accident, on the intersection of James and Oliver street. I remember seeing the street sign. Zoe had stopped, giving way to a car. She had been saying something to me.

"Alfie, I lo-"

Then we got hit. The car crashing into the right side of the car and smashing the windows, glass shattering into tiny fragments. Zoe's eyes wide and terrified.

"Mum, I have to see her!" I shouted suddenly. My mum stood up and pushed me back down as I tried to get up again.

"NO! Alfie. You don't want to see her like this." I ignored her and pushed her away with my unbroken hand. I struggled out of bed and into the hallway. Hobbling to the next ward on from me. I scanned the room and came across the perfect face I knew well. Except, the perfection of her features was covered in cuts, bruises and grazes. Her blue eyes closed, as if she was in a deep slumber. Her figure seemed smaller than usual. Her right limbs were in casts and her head was resting on a pillow, wrapped in white bandages. The usual brown hair was tied back, apart from a small patch at the front, where the doctors had obviously shaved to do some kind of surgery.

"Zoe!" I ran to her side and grabbed her hand, squeezing it tight. I waited a few seconds. No! She was supposed to wake up now! Like in all those movies. A miracle was meant to happen!

"Zoe! It's me Alfie. Wake up!" I squeezed her hand again, and I'm surprised it didn't break from the pressure I was putting on it. I pulled out a chair and sat, holding her hand, listening to the continuous beeping of the machine beside her bed. I lent forward to her and kissed her cheek lightly.

"I love you Zoe."

                                                    ~*~

                                        One Week Later

I walked through the familiar hospital doors, waved to nurse Jill, like I had every morning for the past week. As I got into the elevator, I held it open for her.

"Come to see Zoe again, Mr Deyes?" Jill smiled, as she pushed the round button with a '2' on it. I nodded and pressed '3'.

"Of course Jill, and I will everyday until she wakes up." In my hand I held a single red rose, as usual. 

"Alfie. What if she doesn't wake up?" Jill said cautiously. I stared at her, before shaking my head.

"She'll wake up Jill. She will." The elevator doors opened and Jill got out, after giving me a weak smile. The nurses here were quite supportive, but from time to time, one of them wondered what I would do if Zoe didn't wake up. I don't know what I'd do. 

I shook away the bad thoughts as the doors opened again and I walked out. When I pushed open Zoe's door, nothing had changed. Zoe still lay in the same position as yesterday and the day before that. The glass vase of flowers still sat on the bench opposite Zoe's bed, with the 6 roses still perched inside. I added the seventh and went and sat in the chair, I always sat in. Grabbing the remote I turned on the t.v, and Aladdin was still playing from yesterday. 

I lent forward in the chair and kissed Zoe's cheek in the same place, I had for the last 6 days. I sighed and laid back, closing my eyes and whispered.

"I love you Zoe." And as I drifted off to sleep, I thought I almost heard Zoe's voice.

"I love you too."