nine

it was my fault

Cher could replay the whole conversation Sophia and her had over Skype. Which was surprising, because usually she could barely remember important phone conversations.

She laid on her bed, sighing.

Is this why Jack followed her? In hopes she'd remember him? In hopes that he wouldn't be alone again?

There was a tapping on her window.

A small smile appears on her face.

Cher quickly opens the window as she sees the familiar pale face.

"Jack!"

He gives me a smile, "Hey, Cher."

"Where have you been?" she asks, trying to bury all the questions she had for him. Now was not the time for them.

Jack started to tell her about the Guardians. How it was made of four people, five if he decided to join. He tells her Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Sandman, and the Easter Bunny (who looks like a kangaroo in Jack's opinion), are the Guardians. How the Man in the Moon chose him to be the next Guardian. Jack mentioned a boy named, Jamie. And the Guardian's current enemy, Pitch Black.

Her heart froze as he mentions his name.

"They claim he's dangerous." Jack says, "I don't see how. All he does is gives nightmares."

Cher forced herself to laugh, as if it didn't bother her. She couldn't bring herself to tell Jack about the black sand. And plus, what was the worse Pitch Black do to her? Give her nightmares?

Jack soon goes into a different topic as he explains why the Easter Bunny hates him.

"I don't see why though. It's been a while since I ruined Easter." Jack says.

"He's the Easter Bunny. You ruined his holiday. I would be pretty mad too." Cher says.

Jack shakes his head, laughing.

"Jack did you know me when I was a kid?" Cher asks. The words fall out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

He sits there frozen for what felt like hours.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Jack says.

Cher could tell he was lying.

"I know you're lying Jack." she says. Jack looks out the window, before facing back at Cher.

"You where six when I first saw you. You where the first person, who could see me." Jack answers.

"What happened?"

"You where seven, you loved winter, back then, you know that? I promised you I'd make it snow that day. I didn't know that, that would happen. It was my fault."

"Why did you follow me with the frost."

"When I realized you didn't remember me, I was crushed. I knew it was for the best, so I decided to stay away, but I wanted you to remember-"

She cut him off with a hug. And when shs did, she realized something. She was falling for him.