Chapter Seventeen

I HAVE TO MENTION TO ALL OF MY FOLLOWERS I HAD PREVIOUSLY CUT OUT A SECTION IN CHAPTER 11 but to MAKE CHAPTER 17 HAPPEN I HAD TO REPLACE IT. SO CHAPTER 11 IS REVISED AND YOU MIGHT NEED TO JUMP BACK TO IT. SORRY

Chapter 17

BLERRT! BLERRT!

I jackknifed out of bed. BLERRT! BLERRRRT! "Really? Another fucking alarm? What the hell is with this place and its goddamn alarms?" I grumbled. I tossed back the blankets and sprinted to the bathroom. What can I say? You gotta go when you gotta go.

I was rinsing my hands with the lavender soap, thinking to myself how good it smelled, when I heard the almost-silent creek. My head snapped up and I scented the air, nothing was amiss, but I couldn't get the feeling out of my head that someone was in my room. I left the water running and creped backwards, quieter than a mouse even though the alarm was still blert-ing.

The bathroom door was cracked open, hastily shut during my mad dash to the jawn. I could see a gloved hand toss my blanket off the bed. The hand disappeared but my mattress moved slightly. Silence descended once more. I held my breath and willed my heart to slow down. An eerie calm settled over me and my senses honed in on the intruder.

I could smelt, just barely, the tangy sweetness of oranges and kiwi. The bathroom door swung open and the noiseless intruder filled the frame.

"White?" whispered a smoke-ruined voice. I let out a sigh of relief but I didn't move from my position. I let the rough voice run over me, "Inside of you mattress is the black box. Fido couldn't find it, so I told him I had it." The soft smell of kiwi and oranges drifted away, as the gloved hand shut the door.

The intruder slipped out of my room and vanished into the night with no one the wiser. I walked to the sink with the intentions of turning it off, when the bathroom door crashed open. Braden filled the door way. He took two quick steps and grabbed my upper arm. Without any explanations, he pulled me out of the bathroom and out of my room. Stumbling down the hallway, I tried to keep stride with his long legs.

"Umm?" I tried to ask, but the fast paced made me focus my attention on not falling.

"Do you not hear that alarm?" he asked, his voice filled with agitation. He had to shout to be hear over said alarm.

"Yeah, I hear it. I think it actually woke up the living dead next door." I quipped. Braden took three more steps down the hallway. I took seven more steps. When then ran up a flight of steps, all the while dragging me behind him. A couple more rights and lefts and lefts and rights, Braden slowed down to a more manageable pace. When we came to a complete stop, I realized Braden had a hunting rifle in his hand and a .9ml Glock strapped to his thigh.

"The Agents launched an attack about ten minutes ago. Six out of the fifteen tangos were able to scale the walls. So far we eliminated four of them. You are to stay here, in this room until we disable or apprehend the remaining two." Braden pushed the portrait of a singing lady to the side and pushed opened a hidden door. I stared in amazement. Braden shoved me inside the room and then shut the door. I have got to get myself a hidden door because that was wicked cool! Think about how many guests I could scare...I looked around the room noting two large couches and nothing else. No windows, no TV, no radio. Nothing, except to twiddle my thumbs, I grimaced, Lovely.

A full five minutes passed before I decided to break Braden's rule and explore the mansion. With everyone searching for two Agents, I would be able to sneak around and discover more secret doors and passageways. Maybe I would run into a ghost that secretly guarded the house. That'd be cool.

I pulled on the door handle and to my surprised watch the door open. I was thinking about how awesome I was when two bodies rushed into the room. One of the bodies reached out and slammed my forehead into the wall. The other person sent a punch to my solar plexus. I doubled over in pain, trying to catch my breath.