Nostalgia is a human's greatest weakness

"We hate and it destroys us, and when we fight, we lose. But when we love, oh when we love.." ~( I don't know someone tell me in the comments please where the hell did this come from)
---
Damon stirred, rubbing his palms harshly into his eye sockets in an effort to wake up. When he finally opened his eyes, he almost didn't expect to see the ridiculous heart shaped bed with red velvet colored sheets. Although the fabric was far from velvety he noted with a frown.

Sniffing, Damon turned, a sweet smell igniting his senses. Getting up, he followed it, finding Katherine in the kitchen mincing some onions before dropping it into a large pot. Damon leaned against the entryway, watching her.

In that moment, he couldn't help but remember she was a mother.

Katherine Pierce had a daughter.

She was somebody's 'mommy'.

The thought only ever crossed his mind sometimes. Either when she'd just done something especially cold and heartless or simply just as a random thought. The irony of it all made Damon want to laugh and poke fun at her, but he knew he would never. Katherine Pierce was a mother. But she was a mother without a child.

Damon shook his head, stepping into the kitchen with arms open, "Anything I can help with?" he offered.

Katherine started at the sudden noise, looking toward the sound, smiling upon realizing it was only him, "Well, well, well. Look who's up.." she teased.

Damon smirked, "I figured you would need some assistance." he drawled smugly.

Katherine rolled her eyes, her smile unwavering, "It will be done in twenty minutes." she paused, tasting it, licking her lips approvingly.

"So until then.." she said, walking over to him slowly, taking his face in her hands. The touch was soft, almost non existent as she gently swiped a stray hair out of his face, humming when it simply returned back to it's original spot. As stubborn as the man who grew it.

It was a moment before Damon realized just how intimate the situation felt. It startled him, made his stomach uneasy. Or at least it should've.

But all he could do was watch her eyes, searching his face, looking, finding, memorizing. It took everything he had not to simply lean into her, whether it be to capture her lips or just maintain the rare contact. The proximity was beginning to make him a little light headed, his thoughts scattering to unreachable parts of his mind. But still he kept his composure, holding his breath as he awaited her next move.

Katherine smiled, leaning forward, her lips parting "Get out." she finished, tapping his right cheek before turning to chop some more vegetables.

Damon blanched, that hadn't been what he was expecting. In an effort to save his somewhat wounded pride he simply scoffed, taking his leave to return to the bed.

In the silence, he let his mind wander.

He wondered if Elena was waiting by the phone. Expecting him to call and apologize for what had happened. He suspected she at least expected him to feel guilty.

Damon scowled, Elena. The girl of his dreams, or so he'd thought a couple of years ago.

But now, it was all so incredibly different. Damon had changed in the past few years. He wasn't blind to it, after all he had been there as it happened. And he'd done it happily for Elena. But ever since that night, when Elena once again drove off that damned bridge a year ago..

'I can't think about always..'

Damon scoffed, sure, she couldn't think about always. Yet she'd spent the past year and a half prancing around with Stefan and swooning over the idea of forever.