T H I R T E E N

*trigger warning for PTSD*

"Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them." –Washington Irving  

CAMILA

After Austin confessed to knowing about the bridge that his father used to take him to, I instantly felt bad for him considering the story he told me just last week. I didn't like to see him hurting. Even after all of those years, that event still haunted him. I wanted to grab his hand to show him some kind of comfort, but something in me stopped myself. I didn't know if it was because I was nervous or the fact that Lauren was right behind us.

Oscar Wilde once said, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." I didn't know if this statement could even apply to me because I didn't know who else to be beside myself. I had nothing to compare it to. What I was trying to figure out was the person I had become. The girl that was strong, courageous, and a fighter. The girl that could shoot a gun and actually hit the target, the girl that could beat someone up if need be, and apparently jump over a car in a moment of desperation. The only thing I had trouble with was trying to understand myself, but I didn't think I would ever understand myself completely because I was constantly changing. What I loved yesterday, I may hate tomorrow.

Another thing was the fact that I was paired with both Lauren and Austin. Was Derek trying to kill me? I told myself after my talk with Lauren that I didn't want to be with anyone right then. I needed to figure things out for myself before I got involved with anyone. It was weird saying that I had feelings for both of them, but I did. I think that everyone you come in contact with, you admire something about them that you don't find in anyone else you meet. And sometimes you don't know what it was about them until it's too late.

I shook my head to rid my thoughts as we dredged through the forest towards the bridge. Austin said it wasn't far, but it felt like we had been walking for hours. I was starting to get hungry, and I was running low on water.

"Are you sure there isn't an actual river under the bridge? I'm running out of water," I said.

"Here, have some of mine." Lauren reached into her backpack and pulled out a full bottle of water and tossed it to me.

"Thanks," I returned, catching the bottle.

"It shouldn't be too much further. Once we reach the bridge and find the box, I'll hunt us some food. I'm sure you're getting hungry, too," Austin said, not acknowledging Lauren's possible famine.

Within another five minutes of walking, we found The River Bridge. It was rusted over with moss, and vines hung down into the dried up creek bed below. The sun was starting to descend, making the sun's rays shine through the trees, painting a picturesque scene. I stopped to admire the view.

"I see why your dad brought you here..." I trailed off, still taking it all in. When he didn't answer, I looked over to him to see him climbing the pile of rocks that led to the bridge with Lauren following behind him. They both climbed with ease, and the green eyed goddess helped me up the last couple of steps. At the entrance to the bridge, we could see a hooded figure on the other side pinned to a tree. Please let that be a dummy, I thought. We crossed the bridge with caution, knowing it was old and a wooden board could break at any second. Though there wasn't any water underneath, hitting the ground at that height would cause some damage. We drew our guns and kept an eye out for anyone who might have beaten us there.

When we crossed the bridge without any problems, we stepped back onto the leafy ground and walked over to the hooded figure that was thankfully a dummy.