The Day of the Doctor (REVIEW - Abridged Version)

Fifty years of time and space, and they threw it all at the TV.

Okay, so the first review out of a possible three reviews, this one bing the abridged version. 

Where do I begin? 

The opening:

Brilliant! It was an amazing harkening back to Classic Who, and even though I've only seen New Who, I understand how great that was. It was a great idea on Moffat's part.

Title:

Even if you weren't at the cinemas (like myself), the opening felt like a movie. It was an awesome way to start off, and Matt hanging from the TARDIS was incredible! It took the show to new heights (pun intended.)

Credentials:

I loved the editing throughout the whole episode, the quick snippets of scenes (such as the glass shattering, then reforming.) David being Queen Elizabeth I's husband was pretty interesting... especially with the reappearence of his "Ding!" machine.

Zygons:

A Classic Who villain! Finally! Yes, the Daleks are one, too, but they're the main villian, so it just felt not quite classic-y. But the Zygons! I love their very idea, and I was thinking before the episode aired that maybe the Doctor's image would've been captured and then the question comes out: Who to trust? Alas, that didn't happen, but the scene in the Black Archive harkend back to the Silurian and their peach treaty.

It just shows how great of a diplomat the Doctor is.

Black Archive:

A mention of Jack Harkness made me very happy. And Clara's last visit to the Black Archive... makes me wonder why she went. I doubt Moffat will expand on that story arc, but it'd be interesting to see what happened.

The Cell:

Chilling. I think I can sum it up there. Just chilling. The man who regrets, and the man who forgets. It goes into the darker aspects of the Doctor's character, and it really shows his emotions for what he did (or is about to do.) He's ashamed of growing up because of the day he had to be a grown up. The Day of the Doctor. And the last bit of this scene was great when eleven says their brilliant, and Clara bursts in through the unlocked cell door.

The Moment:

Bad Wolf. Loved that ten realized in the end what it meant. (Will go into more depth in next review.)

The Ending: 

Oh, fantastic! I loved it! The whole episode, leading to this. The return of Gallifrey, and the wandering Doctor returning home. His journey through time and space all leading to this journey back home, the long way around. Moffat delievered on his promise of everything changing.

Next review will go into more detail. Let me know in the comments what you want highlighted!

Next Up:

What does "The Day of the Doctor" mean for the Rule of 13?