Chapter Four

Justin

Gianna avoided my gaze as I was helping her after dinner with the wedding favors she was so excited about. This was something she insisted on doing herself. A personal touch to thank her wedding guests for their support. There was a whole system to it. Take a jar, put the candy in and make sure to carefully tie the blue ribbon--sea blue to match the rest of the color scheme. If I ever even considered getting married and having to deal with all this, I wanted someone to strangle me.

"I swear, it feels like this isn't even Gavin's wedding. All he has to do is buy the tux, show up and say 'I do' if he even does that much." Gianna giggled like she did when she was uncomfortable.

"Why didn't you tell me, Gianna?" I asked without looking up, pinching the cerulean string between my fingers to do the knot.

She sighed, "I was worried you wouldn't come." She said quietly, not looking me in the eye. "Even though Mom left him years ago, I still stay in contact with him. He's family. And so are you, you know that. I wanted you both here so much. But I was worried if I told you I'd invited him, you'd back out."

I couldn't even deny the hurt that spread through my chest. "It sucks that you really think I'd do something like that." I shook my head. "Everything with Dimitri...that's the past. I hate thinking about it. But nothing would have kept me from being here. You should have just told me."

"I'm sorry, Justin." Gianna pouted up at me. A pout I could never resist. "Please don't be mad at me."

I rolled my eyes with a tiny smile, opening my arms up. "Get over here." Gianna put her work down, moving from her seat to stand in my extended arms. I sighed, "I feel like I never tell you guys how much I appreciate you guys. I'm always traveling, always in and out of hotel rooms and surrounded by people I don't even know. But you and Gavin...you're always there. I could never say how much that means to me."

Gianna rubbed my back like I was her child. "I told you, you're family. I don't take that lightly. Family that I don't mind watching in the workout room every morning."

I laughed before realizing what she just said. "Wait what?"

"Pfft, don't give me that shocked shit. The walls are literally made of glass."

"Don't let Gavin hear you talking like this."

"Sweetie, he knows." Gianna patted my thigh. "C'mon, if we don't get these jars done then no one will."

"Gi?"

"Yeah, Justin?"

"Love you."

Gianna flashed me a huge smile. "I love you too."

--

The next night, it was just me and Ana at the house since Gianna and Gavin had gone to dinner with Gavin's parents. I searched the house for Ana, deciding to be cordial and see if she wanted to grab something to eat. I stepped out onto the patio, checking to see if she was on the beach. She was...and she was with Jace.

I clenched my jaw, watching Jace lean down to scoop up a handful of sand. He brushed a seashell off with his fingertips and handed it to Ana, who accepted it with a smile.

I took a step back. I'd head to the guest house to see what Serena was up to tonight.

--

Ana

The house was creepy when you were alone in it. Gavin and Gianna were out and God only knew what Justin was up to. I sat in the kitchen alone, laptop open in front of me and a mug of tea in my hand. I sighed, rubbing my temple. I was hoping that two weeks in Mexico would give me time away from my troubles, but of course that'd was too good to be true. They just followed me here.