Taming Ember (An Erotic Menage)

Chapter One

With trembling hands, I eyed the front door of The Sandbox, an adult toy store that had a reputation of being very versatile. Going in there was a horrible idea, one that should have been shot down the moment that the bet was suggested. I had been so sure that I would win, but of course, Anna would be the one being given the satisfaction of watching her friend walk into a store that would have a nun praying for forgiveness. I had never had the urge or desire to enter a store such as the one I was staring down, yet here I was. How could anyone have the confidence to even work in a place like this? Just looking at the front door was making me blush a furious red that would, no doubt, stain my cheeks for the rest of the day. As soon as I got my hands on Anna, I was going to throttle her for letting me make that bet with her. I just couldn't go inside. What if I knew someone in there? Surely I would die from embarrassment.

    I turned on my heel and headed back toward the street. Yes, I was a coward and we all knew it. I would gladly take the title as long as I didn’t have to go into that stupid store. There was just no way that I could swallow my pride and waltz willingly into The Sandbox. I had almost made it back to my car when my phone started blaring, the music loud enough to startle me. I pulled the device out of my pocket and almost cursed out loud when I saw the name on the screen, flashing as if it knew it was taunting me.

    I took a deep breath and answered my phone. Just keep calm, Ember. That’s all you have to do. You can lie to her. She won’t know. “Hey, girly. What’s up?” My words came out high-pitched and strained, surely giving away my nerves. This wasn't going to end well.

    “Did you go?” Her voice was nice and pleasant as she asked me the dreaded question. Oh god, she knew. The queen of everything perverse knew that I was lying to her! I just had to keep calm... That was my only option here!

    “Uh, yeah. It isn’t a place that I would normally go, but it was interesting to say the least.” I answered, sighing in relief when that sentence came out natural. I was worried there for a second. Maybe she would overlook the way I answered the phone. If she asked, I would just tell her that I was suppressing a cough.

    She laughed, the sound almost musical. “You are such a fucking liar, Ember.” As she spoke those seven words, my heart began to thunder hard in my chest.

    “What are you talking about?” I asked, choosing to continue to play it cool. Please, let her buy it. I can’t go into that store. I may just die. Yeah, that is my best option. I should just lie down and die.

    “Turn around, stupid.” She said cheerfully and, suddenly, I wanted the sidewalk to just open up under my feet and let the cement swallow me whole so that I would never resurface. I turned around slowly and saw a smiling Anna sitting behind the wheel of her cherry red Volkswagen. She seemed rather smug with my discomfort, and the thought just made me even more uncomfortable. She waved at me from within her car as she spoke. “Hi! Now march your sexy ass into that store and buy something. You lost that bet, remember? And I am not one to just let something like that go.”

    I groaned out loud. “How could I forget?” We were betting on how long it would take before the new girl at work would quit. I had guessed a month, and Anna didn’t even give her two weeks. It was a game to us now. Mr. Phillips, the main lawyer at the firm was a hopeless wannabe playboy and hit on all of the new secretaries. But, to everyone’s amusement, he always failed miserably and ended up having to search for another one. This time, I seemed to be the source of amusement.

    “Ember, don’t make me get out of this car and make a scene.” She threatened, and I knew she would do it too. She was the type of friend that would start taking her heels off and threaten to beat me up the head with them while everyone watched. There had been countless times where she had caused a scene, and none of them were pretty.