Chapter 11

• Dedicated to All of my loyal readers <3

Shane Lawson - 

Shifter, Werewolf, Monster, Freak; I preferred the term slave.

Ever since I was a child all I ever heard was how I was unworthy of the pure werewolf bloodline. About how I was an abomination.

My father had mated with a weak bloodline, and because of my inability to shift, he refused to hand the role of Alpha to me. It seemed that I was unfit to lead a pack of wolves when I was practically human. Now Chris, he had always been envious of that fact, but it wasn't as if it mattered. I had two shifter parents and yet still I’d been punished for being a stunted shifter.  My father was always threatening to rip my mate's heart from her chest. Even to this day, although only eighteen, I knew that I’d hate my father forever.

He may have been the father of two boys: one he groomed to be Alpha, the other he hid in the shadows from shame, but he didn’t deserve to be my father. Ivan Lawson was just a cruel man with a scowl on his lips and an evil glint in his eyes. And while Christopher may have been his golden boy, I made sure to save the only person I cared about when I left his brain washed pack.

My brother.

"Shane!" Vanessa's voice squealed from the other end of the phone.

"Vanessa," I chuckled at her obvious excitement; her crush towards me was minor so I never worried. Her mate would come soon, hopefully.

"Harper and I are running late but we should be at the club just after your shift ends."

I nodded to myself, "I'll see you then, doll."

She sighed through the phone before hanging up. If she wasn't so adorable I wouldn't have encouraged her school girl crush, but she was very attractive and currently unmated. Albeit, I knew I was being a bastard but I was still a hot blooded male with the libido of a werewolf. I knew as soon as her mate came along she was going to leave me high and dry, but for now we were just having a little fun. 

I pushed open the employees’ door at the back of the club, looking around at the progress made over the day. There were three waitresses and a bartender working to set up the club for tonight, since Halloween was one of our biggest nights. Halloween started with the pre-adolescence dance which went from six to nine o’ clock, for anyone under the age of sixteen. Then there was an hour to prepare for the rest of the night- a night of booze, vomit, tight dresses, and erections.

We had to call in extra security for tonight to make sure underage drinking, forced sexual encounters and drunken brawls wouldn’t be an issue. Usually I would be another fierce face watching out for some wasted idiot to start something, but tonight I had the late night shift off for the West Sisters.

The blonde dynamite and the voluptuous brunette – one I could have and one I couldn’t.

The night I saw Harper standing at the end of the bar, lost in her thoughts I couldn’t just walk away. It wasn’t until I was right in front of her I could smell what she truly was, but I didn’t care. Her smile nearly knocked me off my feet, and her laugh made me want to keep her from walking away. It was a young boy crush, but for fate to kick me when I'm down again nearly killed me. She was my brother’s mate; one I can’t have, yet watch from afar.

“Hey man, can you just clean up the bar before you clock out?”

I glanced up to my left to see the new manager of the bar, Kevin – the old manager’s son. He was a brat, but he was a good business man.

“Sure,” I forced a grin.

I grabbed the ripped, over-used cloth that I had shoved in my pocket. I used it to wipe down the glass counter, and rub down some of the bottles sticky from God knows what. I ran the once white cloth under the bar tap, letting the warm water clean away some of the grime from all the soda that splashed onto the countertop during the teen’s dance. I bent down to put away the cloth and a couple of the empty bottles before I finished for the night.