All Those Years Ago : chapter thirty-two, 1977

George was in the kitchen, standing barefoot in front of the counter, slicing vegetables on a cutting board for the omelets he was going to prepare for breakfast. He stopped what he was doing and smiled fondly when one of their cats brushed up against his bare leg and purred. She was a gift John had given Julian during the lad's recent visit, and Julian had decided to name her Patches because of her particoloured fur.

"Good morning," he greeted softly. He walked over to the sink, washed and dried his hands before picking up the cat and stroking her fur. "Let's go and wake John up, shall we?"

His lover was still curled up in bed, sleeping on his side and looking peaceful. George smiled as he lowered Patches to the floor, watching her immediately jump into bed with John, purring loudly and settling against his side, looking for his attention. George walked over to the windows, pulling back the curtains to let the sunlight in.

He climbed into bed as well, laying on his side and leaning forward to press a kiss to his lover's shoulder. "It's time to wake up," he whispered against the warm skin. He pulled back, sliding his hand from John's shoulder up his neck and onto the side of his stubbly face. George knew John would have been able to sleep until well into the afternoon if he didn't wake him up. He pressed a kiss to the corner of his lover's mouth, grinning as John made a soft noise and nuzzled into his touch.

John's eyes slid open drowsily and then shut down again as he made a face at the bright sunshine that came pouring through the window. He pushed his face into the crook of George's shoulder, seeking shelter against the light and wrapping an arm around his lover's waist, giving him a gentle hug.

"Wha- time is is?" he mumbled sleepily, tucking his nose in the collar and George's shirt and breathing him in with obvious pleasure. George smelled of Indian spices and clean aftershave. "It's not too early. I let you sleep in for a bit," George replied, pressing a soft kiss to his lover's forehead.

John smirked, lips moving against George's neck as he spoke. "Yer juss too scared of what I might do to you if you woke me up before I've had 'nough sleep."

George briefly pursed his mouth, trying not to laugh. "'m terrified of your five more minutes technique."

"It is rather formidable," John agreed, mock-serious. "Are you... purring?" he added after a few seconds, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I have been known to purr in bed," George replied and John laughed, a small, genuine noise as Patches climbed over him, settling between them and rubbing her head underneath John's chin, settling down and curling upon herself. "Sure 'ave. But you're not that furry yet." He stroked George jaw. "Getting there, though."

George grinned, leaning in to rub his cheek against John's, the feeling of his lover's stubble against his own comforting and familiar. "I thought you liked me with a bit of stubble on my face."

"I do." John tilted his head to kiss George's jaw. "Nice and manly."

George snorted and slid his hand onto the small of John's back, stroking the warm skin with the pad of his calloused thumb, making his lover sigh contentedly. "I'm cooking omelets for breakfast. Go wash your face and brush your teeth," he stated, pressing a kiss to his lover's shoulder.

"Yes, mum," John answered, finally opening his eyes and watching as George sat up, squinting a bit because of the sun coming through the window and making George's eyes bright. John stared.

"I was in the middle of cutting up vegetables when Patches distracted me," George explained, reaching out to stroke her fur.

John nodded absent-mindlessly, not saying anything for a few seconds. George raised an eyebrow and John groaned, rubbing his face. "Dammit, George. Do you have to be so lovely all the time?"