Chapter Thirteen : 1966, Faulty Connections

John put the teapot and two cups on the table, along with his special box of sugar cubes. These were not the usual type of sugar cubes and weren't to be left lying around in the kitchen, for fear Cyn or worse, Julian, would eat one by mistake; so he kept them in this corny flowery box he'd found rummaging in one of Cynthia's drawers. She wasn't there though, and neither was Julian, the both of them at Cyn's mother's for the week-end and John had Kenwood to himself. Well, at least the music room, which locked, was all to himself, since he wouldn't put it past the fans to sneak into the house. But that was better than nothing, he reckoned.

He poured himself and George a cup of tea, dropping two spiked cubes in each mug, humming under his breath. George was late but he didn't mind, he could get a head start and his mate would catch up when he got there. Dropping acid with George had become almost a routine, for the both of them, so much that John actually felt odd doing it without him. Not that he got that many opportunities to do so anyway, Paul was still pussy-footing about the whole thing, Cynthia had hated it, and John didn't feel too comfortable doing it with random strangers.

Thus he did it with George, pretty often, and they rather liked it. All trips were different but it seemed to help when they did it together since they often managed to soothe each other and make sure no one was having a terrible time. They'd done this from their first, unexpected trip after a visit to the dentist, Cyn and Pattie raving along with them at the back of the car and into the hazy maze of a club. They'd almost got found out too, because John couldn't stop touching George and George couldn't stop giggling.  

Since then they'd nearly always done it together, sitting shoulder to shoulder in the music room, talking nonsense and horsing around, touching and laughing, sometimes having sex, sometimes not, sometimes unsure of whether they were having sex or not. John took a sip of tea, finding it lukewarm already and a little cloying because of the amount of sugar in it. He made a face and drowned his cup, settling on the plush carpet, back propped against the couch and glancing vaguely at the telly, waiting for George to arrive and the trip to begin.

George wasn't quite there, though. Mick and Marianne had dropped by Kinfauns unannounced earlier in the day, making him lose track of time, sharing a couple of joints over drinks with the couple. The giant-mouthed rock star openly flirted with Pattie but George was far too relaxed to mind, his fiancée politely rebuffing his advances, giggling and calling Mick a 'naughty boy'. Marianne had kept cool and casual as well, used to Mick coming onto women in her presence, chalking it up to him being a natural flirt. To her, sex was just something he exuded without even trying.

When they left, George had finally taken notice of the time and hastily slipped on his coat, grabbing his guitar in its case, telling Pattie he was going over to John's, much to her annoyance. George wanted her at home and far away from the swinging scene in London, but he went off on his own and left her behind pretty often, and she didn't think that was fair. Her only comfort was the fact that George would be hanging around with his mate John, which she thought was better than having her husband surrounded by girls. This way at least, she was sure he wouldn't cheat on her.

George sped along the country roads to Kenwood, breathing a sigh of relief as he pulled up up to the mock-Tudor home. He was pleasantly surprised to find that the cold weather and rain had deterred the fans from making a pilgrimage to the estate, for once. He left his guitar case in the back seat of his mini cooper, knowing that there wouldn't likely be much guitar-playing done for the afternoon. He and John rarely collaborated on songs, unless George asked for help with a tune he was having trouble finishing.

He didn't bother knocking or ringing the bell, knowing that John would have left the door unlocked for him and stepped inside, locking it behind him. He went directly upstairs, stepping into the music room and spotting John sipping from a tea cup.