Chapter Ten

I awoke to the warmth of sunshine on my face. Outside my window I could hear birds chirping in the early morning light. Slowly opening my eyes, I found my bed empty. I frowned and sat up, scanning the room. For a moment I wondered if I had dreamed August was there last night. Then I saw, tucked under my pillow, a slip of paper. I picked it up and opened it. In smooth, rounded handwriting was a note that said:

“I didn’t want to get you in any trouble, so I left early this morning. Call me when you wake up. I love you.”

August sighed the paper with a flourish that made me roll my eyes. I found my cell phone in the pocket of my jeans, that laid in a heap on the floor. I dialed August’s number. As I waited for him to answer I wrapped my blankets around me, inhaling the scent of him left on them.

“Good morning beautiful,” August answered in a deep, sexual tone.

I laughed and smiled to myself. “Good morning,”

“I’m sorry that I had to leave,” August said, his voice becoming serious. “Don’t think I meant it as a one night stand or anything.”

I laughed again and replied, “I know that you didn’t mean it like that. Thank you for the note, I appreciated it.”

“Is Beth up yet?” August questioned.

I listened for sounds downstairs, but I heard nothing. “No, she must still be asleep.”

“You don’t think she—heard us last night do you?” August muttered. I wished that I had been in the room to his cheeks darken. He was too cute when he was embarrassed.

“I don’t suppose so. I think she would have done something if she had.”

“I know I didn’t sound like I meant it last night, but I did.”

“Meant what?” I teased him.

“That I—that I—can we see each other? I want to—say it to your face.” August stuttered.

“I’ll come over after my appointment with Cora this afternoon. I have a lot I need to talk to her about.” I told him.

“Me included I suppose?” August muttered.

I laughed, “Yes, you included.”

“Make sure to tell Cora that you weren’t zoned out like the last time. You were there… very much there actually.” August snickered and I rolled my eyes again.

“I think that Cora will understand. I’ve got bigger things to discuss than my broken promise.”

“Alright, well I’ll see you this evening then.” August replied.

“Bye,”

“Bye.”

I ended the call and climbed out of my bed. I stripped the sheets from it before I left to take a shower. I didn’t want Beth questioning why my blankets were twisted. I dropped the sheets in the laundry basket and went down the hall and into the bathroom.

The shower was wet. I chewed on my lip. Beth must have woken up early. I shrugged off my concern. If she had heard she would have said something to me, or sent August home.

I stepped into the shower and turned on the water.

****

Beth and I pulled into the parking space in front of Cora and her mother’s office. As Beth turned off the car she turned to me.

“I am trying so very hard to be a good parent to you, Riley. I am trying so hard to understand everything you’re going through. I know it’s difficult for you to sort things out, but I expected a little more of you.” She whispered.