Chapter Nine

“Wake up, Riley.” An annoyed voice ordered. I nearly fell out of bed.

“August,” I shouted, “don’t scare me like that.”

“I’m mad at you.” He said.

My heart began to beat faster. Had Beth told him what I’d revealed to her last week? “Why are you mad at me?”

“You’ve been ignoring me,” August cried.

I sat up and looked at him guiltily. I had been ignoring him, but it was only because I was so overwhelmed with what I’d been going through. Elise was constantly hounding me about the trial. Mrs. Harrison was hounding me about practicing my testimony, which I had yet to do. Beth was hounding to tell Elise and Mrs. Harrison about my secret.

“I’m sorry, August. I’ve been really stressed recently.” I apologized. I pushed myself against the pillows. The sheets pooled around my waist, revealing my ratty tank top. I pulled the slipping strap back onto my shoulder.

August sat down on the edge of the bed beside me. “So you’ve been ignoring me so you wouldn’t rip my clothes off?” He asked, smirking.

“That was definitely it,” I laughed, ruffling my hair.

“I mean, your clothes are practically falling off right now.” August whispered, leaning toward me.

“That’s because I’m too poor to buy new ones,” I whispered back.

August bent his head and kissed my shoulder. I shuddered and planted my hands against his chest. “That’s not fair, August. How am I supposed to keep my nervous twitch in check if you’re going to do stuff like that?”

August made a confused face that was verging on constipated. A snort like laugh escaped my lips. August began to laugh with me and in a matter of minutes I couldn’t breathe.

Once we’d calmed down, August twisted one of my chocolate curls around his lean finger. His blue eyes looked at me from under his sandy blonde hair, forcing a smile onto my lips.

“I really have missed you,” he said, his voice growing serious again.

“I didn’t completely ignore you,” I reminded him, “I did text you.”

August rolled his eyes. “Texting you isn’t like being with you, Riley.”

I rested my forehead against his and gave him the best puppy dog face I could manage. “I really am sorry,”

August cupped my head in his hand and pulled his my lips to his. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tangled my fingers in his hair, deepening our kiss. August’s hand slipped to the small of my back, bringing my body closer to his.

I put my hands against his chest and pushed him away. “August we can’t,” I gasped, hating myself for having to say it.

“Why?” He pouted, stroking the skin of my back.

“Number one, because Beth is home. Number two, because I promised Beth, Elise, and Cora that I wouldn’t.” I said, catching his fingers and moving them away.

“Wouldn’t what?” August  asked, smirking. “What exactly are we doing?”

“Out,” I ordered, pushing him from the bed.

August rubbed his head and frowned up at me. “Fine, but I just thought I would cheer you up before I had to break the bad news to you.”

“What bad news?” I squeaked, glancing down at him.

“Elise is downstairs, she’s taking you to see Mrs. Harrison and to practice your testimony.” August informed me.

“Well I’m not going,” I said simply, crossing my arms.