18- New Jobs

"So I'll be right next door if you have any questions," Sebastian's teaching assistant, Tara, tells me after she's finished walking me through all of the things that I'll need to know for all of the boring secretary work that I'm going to be doing. I don't care though, because I'm working alongside Sebastian King and that's so cool. Even though he's not here today, so that's a little less exciting.

"Got it. Thanks," I offer her a polite smile as she tosses her long dark hair over one shoulder. She's intimidatingly tall and her scandalously short shorts make her seem even taller than she is.

She offers me one bright smile before turning and leaving Sebastian's office to go into her own. She's a junior here working as Sebastian's TA meaning she grades assignments and helps set up the studio space for Sebastian's classes and helps tutor the kids who are having trouble in his classes. She gets her own office though, which is really cool.

I sit my school bag and my camera bag down beside my tiny desk and, since Sebastian isn't here today, I keep the door between my tiny cubicle and his office open just so that I don't feel like I'm suffocating in the tiny space.

The assignment that I have today is to organize some paper files onto an Excel document so that they're easier to access and I also have a phone in the little office that usually won't be of much use but since Sebastian is out, all of his calls will be forwarded to me. That's a little bit scary but Tara told me what I should say if somebody calls so I'm not too worried.

I'm about half an hour into working on the Excel sheet when the phone on the desk starts letting out a shrill ring that makes me jump a little bit out of my seat. I take a deep breath and then grab the phone and put it to my ear.

"This is Sebastian King's office," I greet the other person.

"Hi," The guy says over the phone. "I'm calling because I heard about the job opening for his secretarial assistant and I'd like to apply for the job."

It takes me a minute, but I recognize that voice as Felix and I cringe. Even when he's not trying to follow me, he shows up. Incredible. "I'm sorry, sir. The job has already been filled."

"Really..." He trails off slowly. "Can I ask by who?"

"I think that's private information," I say, hoping that he doesn't recognize my voice at all. I try to make it sound different just to be sure.

"Right. Okay, thanks," Felix says into the phone and before I can respond, he's hanging up.

Glad that that went so easily, I smile to myself and then get back to work on the job at hand, filing away the papers when I'm done with them. It's a really easy task, translating all of these files into an Excel sheet, but it's also sort of boring so I hope that this isn't what I'll be doing every day.

Just as I'm filing away another sheet of paper, the door to Sebastian's office opens so I peek out and curse under my breath when I see Felix standing there.

"Can I help you?" I ask him, standing up and walking out of my little broom closet-like room to join him in the spread out office. "Dr. King won't be in today."

"I knew that it was you, I recognized your voice," He tells me, his eyes narrowed into slits as he looks at me suspiciously. "How'd you get the job?"

I tilt my chin up just a little bit and then respond with, "He offered it to me."

"Really. Just like that," He says in disbelief.

"Just like that."

"That's bullshit," Felix decides.

"Okay then, sir," I tell him with a polite smile because I don't want to lose my temper on Felix right here, where Tara can come in at any moment and if she sees me going off on Felix, that won't look well for me. Especially if she tells Sebastian. "Have a nice day. I'm sorry that I couldn't help you further."