Chapter 12

Zulu recovered from the explosion within a couple weeks, Rise having to force her not to be overactive. Another month or so passed and there was no trouble. Finally, at an unexpected time, the enemy came in full force."Jak, stop making Zulu want to kill you," Rise advised the troublemaker."What'd I do this time?" Jak complained, his classmates laughing at him."Didn't ya try ta snoop through her pack?" one of the other guys reminded him."She's seriously going to snipe you," Rise sighed. He was about to say more when space marines swarmed into the room."Rise Larkin, you're under arrest for destruction of military property and 2nd degree mass manslaughter," one of them said, while another handcuffed him."I did no such thing!" He struggled against the soldier. Trying to escape, he yelled, "In Praetor!"There was a loud screeching sound and Zulu's Hover-Cycle burst into the classroom through the outside wall. Decked out in a new light armor suit and helmet, Zulu looked far more deadly than ever before. Dismounting her Hover-Cycle, she strolled up to the marine apprehending Rise."How many times do I have to tell you dogs? Don't touch what doesn't belong to you!" Zulu punched the marine and yanked the chain on the handcuffs, breaking it apart. Pushing Rise towards the Hover-Cycle, she rolled a smoke grenade into the space marines. Climbing onto her Hover-Cycle behind Rise, she tossed a belt of grenades to Jak. "You're in charge until we get back. Gun it, Rise."Rise revved the engine and sped out through the hole, heading for the main road."Head for Hygeno's main military base in Sandyr!" Zulu told Rise over the rush of the wind.A mile away from the Sandyr military base, Rise pulled over to the side of the road. He looked over his shoulder at Zulu."So, what's the plan?" Rise asked, adjusting the goggles Zulu had put on him while he was driving."Go in and destroy the data from the experiments done in Hades' Military Penitentiary. The information system at Sandyr should be linked to the main terminal on Pandora, even if it's on the other side of the galaxy. The space marines have the most advanced technology of the military, it's no surprise they have universal communication links." Zulu clearly had an abundance of knowledge about the military, yet she spoke of only what she needed to."We're just going to destroy it?" Rise questioned, clearly uneasy with the idea."Don't worry, I have all the data," she told him."Ah, okay." He wanted to ask how she had the data, but figured it was best not to know. They continued on to the base, the weight of their yet to be actions already pressing down on them.A quarter mile away from the military base they came across an old farmhouse with a shed nearby. Hiding Zulu's Hover-Cycle in the shed, they decided to travel on foot the rest of the way. Making sure they had everything, Rise and Zulu began their trek to the base."I swear, there's something wrong with the military," Rise muttered as they trudged along."Because they have their bases in the middle of deserted areas?" Zulu inquired nonchalantly."Exactly! Who the heck builds in the middle of the desert!?" He looked irritated and was obviously still annoyed by the whole air base ordeal."Well, there aren't many people inhabiting the desert," she pointed out. "It's easier to get away with things.""That's true too! This is why the military needs to be put in check and not allowed to do whatever they want!" he yelled, waving his fist around."You do realize the military has a firm hold in the government," she stated."Of course they do," he sighed.