29. Marry me?

Hi guys! Firstly I know you've all been eagerly awaiting this chapter and I'm really sorry I was delayed in posting it. I had the draft written but I didn't like it. Then I rewrote it and still didn't like it then I tried again...and again until finally I got it how I want it. So here it is...the long awaited FINAL chapter of Always on the Run. Enjoy!

Please read my author's note at the end. I promise not to ramble much. ;) but my secret will be revealed. And this chapter is dedicated to Angie627 because she got it right!

***

This is like the day I married Russell all over again...minus the crazy grandmother of course. Oh and the fit of the giggles. Either way, the fainting is to a tee.

My head is heavy and fuzzy. As I try to open my eyes, I'm blinded by the bright afternoon sun. I groan and use my arm to shield the light. There's a sudden commotion and muffled voices but it takes a while for my fuddled brain to catch up.

As my eyes adjust to the light, I open them wider and my hearing clears at the same time. Suddenly a face appears above me with that all too familiar smirk...Jamie. But he looks different somehow. Why is he dressed in a suit? The last time I saw him in one was when I married him as Cindy.

He raises an eyebrow then his hand appears in front of me. I look at it like it's a foreign object then reluctantly take it. The moment our hands touch, that familiar bolt of electricity shoots up my arm down to my toes. He helps me to my feet and I stumble slightly. His arm quickly wraps around my waist to steady me. I look up at him and frown.

"What are you—?"

"Trust me," he whispers then gestures for someone to come over. Nadeem soon comes into view. Jamie lets me go and Nadeem takes my arm. I watch as Jamie returns to the altar, hoping my look tells him how confused I am.

"Are you okay?" Nadeem whispers.

Slowly I turn to him, my vision swimming slightly. I nod but it feels like my head is going to fall off. I'm not really okay, I think I might be in shock.

"What's going on?" I whisper back. Then I glance around and notice no one has really moved. The guests I don't know are whispering amongst themselves but not paying me any attention. Whereas Mum and Toby are both looking at me with concern but sitting between them is Prisca. That's probably why neither of them came to my aid. Prisca's face is extremely stony and the glare she bestows on me makes me shiver. It's a look that says I'm going through with this if it's the last thing she does. I turn back and silently pray Jamie knows what he's doing.

"You fainted," Nadeem says in answer to my question. He's looking at me like I've lost my marbles.

I roll my eyes. "Yes I know that. I mean what's he," I jab my thumb in Jamie's direction, "doing here?"

Nadeem looks at Jamie with a furrowed brow the same time I look at him. Jamie looks anywhere but at us, a smug smile on his face. Why the hell do I have no idea what's going on? And how has Mum not recognised Jamie? Or is she pretending so as not to make Prisca suspicious? Is that why Toby was so happy on the way here? It still doesn't explain Jamie's plan though.

"Who?" Nadeem asks, looking more confused than ever. "The celebrant? We need him to marry us."

I'm about to remark about how dense he is when I realise he doesn't even know Jamie. I shrug and turn to face Jamie again, glaring at him with a look that I hope says 'what the hell is going on'. When all he does is glare back I know I have to go along with it.

"If the bride is fit to continue," he suddenly says in that terrible British accent he used when he pretended to be the doctor, "we shall commence the ceremony."