Discussion Thread: Chapters 13-15

Discussion and Q&A Guidelines

Please feel free to use this area to discuss and debate chapters 1-3. If you have any specific questions for the author, Garrett Calcaterra, please make sure to tag him in your question with his handle @gcalcaterra. He will make his best effort to respond to your tagged questions within the week. Otherwise, the author will not respond or "police" any of your comments. Just make sure to be civil, follow the Wattpad code of conduct, and have fun!

Author Notes

*As writers, we tend to fall in love with our characters. They are, after all, our children, and so it's easy to get caught up in the trap of trying to protect them. As in real life, though, things should never quite go the way our characters think they will, otherwise we're left with a pretty boring story. With that in mind, I knew this part of the book was ripe for more complications.

*I followed the three-act, eight-sequence structure that's used in movie screenplays, and I think it worked pretty well at making sure the action kept moving forward, something that I struggled with in writing my first couple of books. I'd definitely recommend that beginning novelists use the eight-sequence structure to help them with their overall plot structure. I actually did not use that specific structure for Souldrifter, the next book in the Dreamwielder Chronicles, but I was only successfully able to deviate from it because I learned so much about plotting in writing Dreamwielder.