✿ chapter one ✿

when Francesca Black was young, she was described as an angel in comparison to her sister Florence. she never cried when she was in pain, when she was tired, when she was uncomfortable, or even when she didn't get what she wanted. it was a trait that she passed on to her adolescence. she never showed her anxiety, anguish, dolefulness, and especially not her hatred towards her body through tears or even telling anyone of these emotions.

there was a stark contrast between her and her sister, besides the nine month age gap. her sister had brown hair and caramel colored eyes but she had dark brown, almost black hair with green eyes that never seemed to be just one color. all the guys wanted her sister but never looked twice at her. Flossy's mother was a naturally thin philanthropist who was firmly out of the picture whereas Rosemary Black was a critically acclaimed lawyer that didn't notice when her daughter skipped meals. Flossy was a size medium, but Chessie was a size 2X.

maybe that's why Chessie loved playing with her best friend Robby's brother's heart through text messages. maybe that's why she even agreed to the proposition when her best friend since seventh grade agreed to it. maybe that's why, despite everything she's been handed on a silver platter since birth, she wanted someone to care enough for her to put together her broken pieces.

it was a cool morning in late October of her junior year when it started.she applied her winged eyeliner like her sister taught her and the lilac lipstick that complimented her light caramel skin. the grey sweater that hid her worst enemy - her stomach - was still damp on the ends of the sleeves from when she brushed her teeth but she decided not to focus on the annoying feeling of it against her skin and instead slipped on her leggings and sneakers. fall was her favorite specifically because it wasn't too hot or too cold and she could wear the perfect outfits that fit her figure perfectly.

her sister was on the stool of the island, texting her boyfriend Calum presumably and sipped a cup of tea in her favorite mug. despite being obviously busy, she noticed that Chessie walked in and set her phone down, giving her younger half-sister a bright smile. Chessie responded with a slightly dimmer one and started making a cup of coffee to go. she didn't have to wait to catch a bus or have to leave early to walk like her friends did because Flossy usually drove her in the backseat with Calum in the front seat. most would think that she's third wheeling, but she mostly reads and listens to music on the ten minute drive in.

"hey are you okay?" Flossy asked with her eyebrows knotted in concern. "you look a little pale."

truthfully, she was mentally okay, but not physically. the last time she ate was two nights before and that was only because her parents treated the whole family and Calum - of course - to dinner out. a journalist came up to her mother, as they always did, and tried to get a quote from her about a crime she prosecuted the week before. Chessie was helping herself to a forkful of her sister's expensive Italian meal when he approached the table, telling Flossy that she looked elegant and Chessie that she looked "very pretty". that didn't bother her though because she knew that she was nothing in comparison to her sister but she saw the way that he looked at her with those dark eyes of disgust. she put down her fork and didn't pick it up for the rest of the night.

Chessie shrugged in response to her sister's question. "I woke up with a little headache but I'll be fine."

"eat a good breakfast then. that usually helps me." and without another word, Flossy went back to smiling like an idiot in love and typing away on her phone. she didn't see when the tanner girl rolled her eyes in response.