Playing Truant

Chapter 3

"This can't end well."

You watch as Okuda awkwardly hands her poisons to Koro-sensei, who pours the first one in his mouth. He starts having massive spasms before finally... turning blue and growing horns.

"What the hell," you say as Koro-sensei compliments Okuda on her mixture. Suddenly, your throat feels a bit dry. Coughing, you raise your hand. "Can I –" you cough, "get some water?"

Koro-sensei nods. "Kayano, why don't you go with her? Make sure she's alright." The green haired girl stands up and follows you out.

Kayano watches as you cough. "Are you okay?"

"Fine, just a bit thirsty," you respond.

Class E being as crappy as it is, there's only one drinking fountain in the school, and it's a bit of a walk. Finally, after a three minute walk full of coughing and worrying, you arrive at the fountain. Drinking quite a bit, you realize your cough isn't going to go away that easily.

Face red, you pull back from the drinking fountain. "You sure you're okay?" Kayano asks. She puts her hand to your forehead.

Quickly pushing it away, you say, "Really, I'm alright." She looks at you doubtfully, but doesn't say anything.

By the time you get back to the classroom, Koro-sensei has become an emoticon. He looks at you as you enter, with eyes somehow more beady than before, and his mouth a straight line.

._.

He really was an emoticon.

One day passes to the next, and after Koro-sensei turned into a silvery blob, E class gathers together to meet at the main campus for an assembly. You managed to keep your coughs down with cough drops until this point, but you know the trek to the main campus will be hard on your body. Standing up to go, you feel someone grab your arm.

"We're skipping," an infuriatingly familiar voice says.

After five minutes of pulling, you finally come to grips with the fact that you won't be going to the assembly today.

"Listen," you say, irritated, "I don't care if you skip, but why are you forcing me to stay too?"

"You think I'm gonna let someone as sick as you go through all that hell just to get to the main campus?" Karma says, releasing you.

"Why do you care if I'm sick?" you spit.

"If you're sick, who am I going to tease?" he smirks.

"Well, I'm not sick, anyways." You consider making a break for it. You can probably catch up to the rest if you go now, but if you were a match for Karma when you were healthy, he'd easily catch you now.

"Oh, really?" He sounds skeptical. "That's not what Kayano told me."

Ten minutes of arguing later, you resign to playing truant. Not like you have much of a choice, anyways.

Facing away from each other and sitting on the steps outside the school in silence, time passes by. Finally, Karma says, "You should really get more sleep."

"I don't have time for sleep. I need to study. I don't want to stay in the End Class forever."

"How'd your grades drop so low, anyways?" Karma asked.

Sending him a harsh glare, you say, "You always were insensitive, weren't you? I bet if Nagisa died, your best friend, you wouldn't give it any thought, and would just keep getting your perfect grades."

Karma's eyes widen. "Is this about Miyo?" he asks.

You simply let out a cynical laugh. "Funny, isn't it? Here we are, both of us in Class E. Both of Miyo's killers."

You feel something smack the back of your head. "Miyo's death wasn't my fault, and it sure as hell wasn't yours. I can't believe you still think that!"

Rubbing the back of your head, you sigh. "No matter how you look at it, she wouldn't have died if we had done something." You stand up and walk into the classroom.  You don't have to be around Karma, even if he's making you skip the assembly.

"No matter how you look at it," Karma mutters to himself, "if we had done something, you'd be dead too."

You stay home the next day, fighting back a nasty cough that wouldn't go away.  The only bright side is that you had something to attribute your reddening face to.

Preview for chapter 4:

"What, did it get out that you have a fetish for aprons?"