Chapter 12

I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror, fixing my black tie. Tears trickled down my cheeks and fell from my chin, dissolving into the black sleeves of the suit jacket I was wearing. In the main room of the hotel room I was in, Parker was sitting on the queen sized bed, in his own little happy world playing games on my cell phone.

Just as I slipped the tail through the keeper loop, there was a knock on the hotel room door. Parker's head snapped up as I sniffled and wiped my eyes. I didn't even say anything before walking over to the door and pulling it open. Standing out in the hallway, all dressed the same, were Pete, Joe, and Andy.

"Hey Patrick," Pete greeted solemnly.

"Hi guys," I retorted dismally, averting my gaze to my feet as Pete stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me, embracing me in a hug. Andy and Joe joined in shortly after, making it a group hug. I squeezed my eyes shut, failing to hold back the tears that resurfaced in my eyes.

The three of them released me and all took a step back, except for Pete. He kept his hands on my upper arms and looked directly into my eyes, asking, "How are you holding up?"

I shrugged my shoulders, biting my lip to keep it from quivering.

"I'm so sorry, Patrick," Andy gave me his condolences. I nodded my head in appreciation.

"Yeah, man, I'm really sorry," Joe tacked on.

I took in a deep breath, recomposing myself to the best of my abilities, "Don't be. It's not your fault."

I spun around and walked over to the bed where Parker was sitting, staring at the three tall men standing in the doorway. He'd known he'd seen them before, hanging around the house with me while his mom kept him distracted so that the four of us could actually get some work done, but he couldn't remember their names or why they were there, let alone why they were say sorry to me.

I squatted down in front of him, attracting his attention, and forced a smile on my face. "Hey, buddy, are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" He inquired innocently, not entirely comprehending what we were there for in Chicago, away from home.

"Ready to go see Daddy's family and friends, remember?" I gave him the watered-down answer.

He was too young to grasp the concept of a funeral and I wasn't going to even bother trying to make him understand it. As far as he knew, this was just a big family get-together. Just with everyone dressed in black rather than colorful clothes and a lot of crying instead of laughs.

"Why isn't Mommy here?" Parker inquired softly, playing with the little necktie I had previously tied around his neck.

A lump formed in my throat as I struggled to formulate an answer.

Andy stepped forward and said, "Your mom's sleeping in." My son glanced over at him. "Yeah...She's really tired and so...she's sleeping in."

"When will she wake up then?"

"We don't know," Joe chimed in, joining Andy's side. "But she told us not to wait up for her. That we should go see your dad's friends and family without her."

Parker looked back at me for affirmation. I nodded my head yes.

"Okay," He murmured, "I'm ready." I stood up and picked him up in my arms, joining my three friends and telling them we were good to go.

As we walked down the hallway, I leaned over and whispered in Andy's ear, "Thanks, man. I don't know if I could've told him the truth."

He glanced over at me, the corner of his lip perking up, "No problem."